Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

QUick walking question!

(10 Posts)
charleepeters Sat 23-Jul-05 16:21:43

HI just a quicky!

DS is just 11 months, he cruises around the furniture if i stand him up against the sofa, he can also do steps if he can hold onto my fingers, or if hes pushing his wooden cart. Now i know babies walk alot later than he so im not bothered if he take a while to do it by himself. he has never showed interest in crawling, he occasionally rolls about from his belly to back but i have never seen him attempt to try and crawl.

what want some help with is this.

DS is very happy to sit on his throw on the fllor and paly with his toys, do i....

a. leave him to it and yhe will eventually take the initiative to get himself up walking

or

b. is there something i can do to help him??

im asking this as he seems to get very frustrated when he cant reach a toy or if hes trying to push himself to standing and cant.

spidermama Sat 23-Jul-05 16:22:52

Let him do it by himself IMO. Don't worry about the frustration. It's a motivating emotion. Harder for you to watch than him to experience iyswim.

charleepeters Sat 23-Jul-05 16:23:50

yeah i know what you mean, i jkust want to rush and do it for him but i know that wont help its frustrating for me to!

fqueenzebra Sat 23-Jul-05 16:36:26

you could see if he will try to take steps holding your hands, this makes his learning to walk experience more interactive and makes you feel like you're doing something.

Not all babies will get the idea or want to, though. DD held our hands to walk everwhere, ds1 couldn't get it, ds2 got the idea after a lot of coaxing.

walking babies get places faster, though, meaning they get into trouble faster. If he's happy sitting on his bum I would leave him to it.

SofiaAmes Sun 24-Jul-05 14:16:12

It will make no difference what you do. When he is ready to walk he will, and not a day sooner. My dd was cruising and walking while holding on to a hand or buggy from a very early age (8 or 9 months). BUT, she didn't get up and walk on her own until 18 months. When she did walk on her own she never ever fell down, unlike my ds who started at 12 months, but fell down every other step. I think it's a personality thing and they will do it when they do it.

hunkermunker Sun 24-Jul-05 14:19:01

DS is 15mo and not walking - just beginning to stand unaided. He crawls like a demon though.

He doesn't really like walking holding onto hands, although he can do it (holding onto just one hand) - I think with him it's a confidence thing and when he realises he can do it, he'll set off at a trot!

He'd also rather play with the blocks in his brick trolley or the toys on the front of other children's walkers - has never shown any inclination to push them along!

Nbg Sun 24-Jul-05 14:19:39

We did the walking between dh and I. We kept doing it and eventually one day she just took the steps on her own.

kbaby Sun 24-Jul-05 21:01:54

DD was the same as yours. From 10 months she would cruise etc. We bought her a push along which meant that she could pull herself up on it and charge about the house really confidently. She then moved on to wanting to walk everywhere holding your hands(this is a killer on your back)
The push along was definetly our best buy. She walked herslef at 12months 3 weeks but still uses the push along to bang into furniture and ankles etc.

Magscat Sun 24-Jul-05 21:12:18

My ds was about the same as yours and a few weeks later (10 days after his 1st birthday to be exact) he took his first steps. Never bothered much with crawling.

charleepeters Sun 24-Jul-05 21:13:10

ds doesnt pull himself up - he tries but hasnt quite got the hang of it yet, he takes steps and walks really well if he can hold onto my hands and he can stand completley unaided for about 15 secs before he realises es not supported then gets scared and thrashes about untill he falls. im not worried about him hes a clever little chap in more intelectual areas - i was just wondering what i could do to help him do it i know he so wants to but cant quite manage!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now