Talk

Advanced search

What does your five year old like to sing and play at parties?

(13 Posts)
lovecloud Fri 22-Jul-05 23:07:25

Hello

I am organising a fun party for my nephew who will be five next month, his mum and dad are a bit skint so I said invite about 6-7 friends to their house and I their mad aunty will entertain them.
I was thinking of going back to the old fashioned games like:
Musical chairs
Blind mans buff
Simon Says
Musical statues
etc...

Can you tell me if five year ols can play these games, I am not sure he has actually ever played any of these games so do you reckon I could teach them or would it all take too long?
What about the Hokey Cokey?

What kind of songs do they like?

Are they too old to be singing nursery rhymes, I play a few instruments so i thought I could play along.

Any ideas be much appreciated. I just want to stop them running to the playstation and enjoy some old fashioned fun!

lovecloud Fri 22-Jul-05 23:14:19

bump

katymac Fri 22-Jul-05 23:21:01

All the games will be great - also pin the tail on the donkey - Pass the parcel

Lots of songs - nursery rhymes as well as TV stuff (bob the builder/tweenies etc)

Have you got shakers/rattles/drums etc they will love to join in

lovecloud Fri 22-Jul-05 23:26:07

I was think maybe about collecting lots of junk like card, boxes and other bits and pieces that we could put together to make instruments, we could start off by doing that and then using our hand made instruments to accompany our songs.

can you tell me some of the ryhmes your child likes?

katymac Fri 22-Jul-05 23:32:39

Oh yes they will love that

Shoe cox guitars
Kitchen roll middle shakers
Cake tin drums etc

At 5 I'd try the TV stuff (Themes and songs)

They will like NR but maybe longer ones I know an old lady, the court of king caractus (sp)

Maybe wheels on the bus/old macdonald/10 in the bed/one man went to mow?

katymac Fri 22-Jul-05 23:33:00

Shoe Box

lovecloud Fri 22-Jul-05 23:35:12

the court of king caractus???

never heard of that one before!

thanks for you tips

my dd is two and the children in her nursery are aged up to five but I was just not sure if they all sing the same songs.

katymac Fri 22-Jul-05 23:38:52

The Court of King Caractcus?

Sewing breeches, powder on the noses - Didn't Rolf Harris sing it - and weren't they "all passing by"

milward Sat 23-Jul-05 00:04:25

Pass the parcel, musical cushions, musical statues

MamaMaiasaura Sat 23-Jul-05 00:07:27

Did ds's 5th birthday party at home. Duration was 2 hours and I set up a 'timetable' of activities. First off gave them 15 minutes to arrive - had pop music on in background. Then commenced pass the parcel had a couple of goes and layered it so prize in eah layer and made sure music sotpped for each child. They was also biscuit decorating happeing in kitchen (digestive buscuits with squirty icing and loads of shaking toppings to put on top), they then played pin the tail on the donkey, then it was food time - had mini indoor picnic (as it was feb, but with good weather garden is an option - ohh you could have bubbles etc too!) after birthday tea and birthday cake we had musical statues, and mini disco during which we made up party bags and also did some model ballooning (kits cheap from supermarket) and after they had gone we realised that they hadnt even done the lucky dip. It all went really fast and really well (we had 19 kids in the end). Food wise - did lots of fresh fruit and salad - corocodile cumumbers and carrot crowns etc and put out sweet biscuits etc but the veg and fruit went first!

We had a no going upstairs rule as well and put everything potentially breakable in my bedroom.

Also handy tip have a sheet of sticky labels so that as each child arrives you write their name on it. Also I kept a list of parents telephone numbers too.
hth.

PeachyClair Sat 23-Jul-05 13:57:49

Sorry, but all DS's like at the mo is Crazy Frog!
The old fashioned are OK though, and songs like the worms sone (nobody like me/ everybody ahtes me/ think I'll go eat worms?) always impress a five year old.

PeachyClair Sat 23-Jul-05 13:58:59

Old fashioned GAMES, sorry

spidermama Sat 23-Jul-05 14:07:07

Chocolate Dice game.

You will need:
1 big bar chocolate (with paper or paper & foil wrapping)
Gloves, scarf and hat
Knife and fork
1 die (is that how you spell dice singular??)

Kids sit in a circle. Put choc and gloves etc in middle of circle. Take turns to throw die. First to throw a six puts on scarf, gloves and hat and tries to open choc with knife and fork. Others then start throwing die again until someone else thrown 6. Throwing then stops again while the new person puts on gloves etc.
Play continue until chocolate is open, or eaten, ehichever feels right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now