Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

saying "Mummy" (or not)

(12 Posts)
bee3 Fri 22-Jul-05 20:57:13

My ds is nearly 18 months. He said his first word ("Daddy"...typical) at about 10 months, then not much else until he was about 14 months. Just recently his talking has really taken off, and he probably uses about 30 words (that I can distinguish, although others probably wouldn't), and is beginning to combine two words ("more pear" "look car" etc.. BUT

he still has never said "Mummy"

He will point at me if someone says "Where's Mummy?", but if asked "Who is that?" he just smiles, or says "Daddy" and laughs.

How come he can name a spoon, duck, tractor, book etc and even says "Big Cook" when the programme starts (obviously watches too much Cbeebies ), but can't name me?!

I know it's not a serious problem, and it's become a bit of a standing joke in our house, but I just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar......

Jimjams Fri 22-Jul-05 21:00:21

ds1 has never said mummy and he's 6. He can say daddy- he used to call me nanig. Now he sort of says "neowg" or something. When he's annoyed he says mumumum but I don't think he means mummy I think he means bugger off.

I enjpoy the cuddles- their more important than words!

(Plus I get fed up of hearing ds2 shout muuuummmmeeeee as he usually wants me to do something )

jamiesam Fri 22-Jul-05 21:02:51

Ah, bee3, they can tell when it matters to you. Ds1 called me Daddy for, well, not quite years but a long time. Ds2 calls me and dh Momma - he's two today!

throckenholt Fri 22-Jul-05 21:14:57

me ! I used to call it Mummy blindness.

DS1 said Daddy from about 12 months, but not mummy until maybe 24 months. If you showed him a picture he would name everyone except me, would not even acknowledge redognition if someone specifically asked him who it was. I got to feeling very paranoid for a while .

Now at 4 I often wish he had never learnt the word .

Louise1970 Fri 22-Jul-05 21:19:03

i heard the reason why they say daddy so much earlier than mummy. Is because mummy is always saying, Where is daddy?, Oh look here comes dady, Is daddy at work? But no-one says it about mummy.

mancmum Fri 22-Jul-05 21:25:28

my dd did not say Mummy until her 2nd birthday -- and since then I have not been given a moments peace!!

bee3 Fri 22-Jul-05 21:32:46

Thank you all. I'm glad it's not just me...

My take on it (to smug "Daddy" at least) is that ds still considers that he and I are 'as one' and therefore I do not need to be named

That's my arguement, and I'm sticking to it.

Nbg Fri 22-Jul-05 21:35:19

Love that theory Bee3!

Am having a problem atm with dd's speech. She is 21 months and doesn't call me mummy.

I'll adapt your theory too the next time someone mentions it!

ediemay Fri 22-Jul-05 22:08:51

My little man didn't say much which wasn't Klingon or Clanger until he was about 26 months. Now he's a little parrot, hilarious. He didn't say Mum or Mummy until he was 2 and now prefers Mammia - makes me feel all Italian!

fqueenzebra Fri 22-Jul-05 22:20:22

20-24 months for mine to say mummy or daddy.

serenity Fri 22-Jul-05 22:23:43

DD is 21 mths, she says Daddy all the bleeding time but only says Mummy if we ask her to.

She will run to me with her arms up for a cuddle shouting daddy!

vicdubya Fri 22-Jul-05 22:27:21

I love that theory too Bee3!!

Ds (16 months) doesn't say Mummy either. Very, very occasionally he has been known to say "Mam" in an irritated voice when he wants me to pass him something!!

He calls Daddy "Adder" and says lots of other things but none very recognisable yet.

I'm sure there will come a time when we long for the pre"Mummy" days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now