Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Are/were your toddlers "runners" or "ball and chains"?

(19 Posts)
fisil Thu 21-Jul-05 08:58:56

ds1 has never done that running away thing that toddlers seem to love so much. He's the opposite - you go to a soft play area and have to coax him to go off and play, but he is usually back by my side within minutes.

I commented to my mum that I won't know what's hit me if ds2 turns out to run off at every opportunity, and she said "oh, all three of you were ball and chain toddlers, I never had a runner." She then went on to say that she thinks it runs in families.

So what do you have? runners or ball and chains, and has anyone had a mixture?

flamesparrow Thu 21-Jul-05 09:02:25

DD is a mixture I think...

If she's with others that she knows that are runners, then she's off - never to be seen again. She used to be like it alone too, but since she turned 2, she is more ball and chain when she doesn't know the other kids.

elliott Thu 21-Jul-05 09:08:45

Two runners. Never a backward glance...

throckenholt Thu 21-Jul-05 09:09:28

mostly balls-and-chains. Only go off if they are confident they know where they are and who they are with. Definitely not ones for running into a busy place and getting stuck in !

eefs Thu 21-Jul-05 09:11:28

ds1 is a ball and chain - very cautious
ds2 is a runner - dangerously so.

suzywong Thu 21-Jul-05 09:12:16

runners
I have never been so fit

stripey Thu 21-Jul-05 09:20:31

two runners here. I'd much rather have ball and chains

fisil Thu 21-Jul-05 09:23:21

oh, I'm not complaining!

PiccadillyCircus Thu 21-Jul-05 09:25:22

DS (20 months) is more of a ball and chain type. Likes to feel comfortable in a situation before launching into it. I have noticed that he is becoming less clingy to me at the beginning of something new, but not runner yet.

foxinsocks Thu 21-Jul-05 09:30:53

dd is a ball and chain, ds is a runner - if I actually sat down and thought about how many times I've lost him when we're out, I'd probably have a heart attack

Nbg Thu 21-Jul-05 09:36:35

I think dd is both. I don't know whats worse tbh.

It's nice sometimes when they are a bit clingy but after a while it gets a bit annoying especially in this hot weather.
When she's in running off mode it makes every outing impossible you can't look, touch, stop, sit or anything!!!

tarantula Thu 21-Jul-05 09:38:34

dss was a runner and still is. dd is a ball and chain atm tho she may grow out of this (think she takes after me tbh)

Kittypickle Thu 21-Jul-05 09:40:12

DD - ball and chain
DS - complete runner - big shock after a ball and chain !

TracyK Thu 21-Jul-05 09:42:59

ds - ball and chain when in house and I'm trying to do other things - runner when out shopping and I want him to be a ball and chain!!

Kelly1978 Thu 21-Jul-05 09:48:53

dd was perfect, ball and chain when out but content to do her own thing when at home.

ds is a nightmare, runs away all the time. He also has an obsession with lifts. In Wimbledon shopping centre he ran off to the lift, got in and pressed the button. he was screaming his head off in the lift going down to the first floor, while more cautious dd was screaming her head off outside the lift. With the dts in a double buggy it is really hard to keep control of him sometimes.

Caththerese1973 Thu 21-Jul-05 11:07:14

Mine was a runner. Would not sit still, always investigating something. She liked to watch tv from a young age though. It is only recently that she will sit on my knee for any length of time, and she is two and a half.

Caththerese1973 Thu 21-Jul-05 11:10:04

Just wanted to add that I have HAD to get really tough in shopping centres lately. My dd tears around if let her. She looks back every now and then to reasssure herself that I am in sight, and then goes back to rushing about. I have had to make the rule that if she doesn't hold onto stroller, or hold my hand, then she must be strapped in the stroller (which she hates). I think a ball and chain is easier! And, on the anecdotal evidence, a ball and chain is more likely to be a second child rather than a first.

colditz Thu 21-Jul-05 11:17:54

Runner, definatly.

trefusis Thu 21-Jul-05 11:29:06

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now