Talk

Advanced search

My bookish 2 y.o. chats to herself all the time in the third person...

(8 Posts)
morningpaper Tue 19-Jul-05 19:50:22

"And she RAN to her mummy and gave her a big kiss..."

I have a constant narrative from DD when she is playing 'by herself'. I can remember doing this when I was young but I'm sure I was much older.

She goes to nursery and watches hours of telly and is normal in other ways - honest!?!!?!? Does anyone else's book-loving child do this?

MascaraOHara Tue 19-Jul-05 19:52:10

my 3yo does this, I don't think anything of it tbh. She's very 'book-y' too and an only child but I never associated it

Jimjams Tue 19-Jul-05 19:53:38

ds2 does.....

WigWamBam Tue 19-Jul-05 19:55:17

Yes, my 4 year old has done this since she was about 2. I haven't seen it as anything odd, I think it shows great imagination and creativity, and I've been happy to encourage it.

morningpaper Tue 19-Jul-05 19:56:51

I remember saying "She said" after speaking to people all the time and having to make a real effort to stop doing it ... must have been about six.

Obviously I am now well-rounded etc.... honest.

morningpaper Tue 19-Jul-05 19:57:23

Reassuring that it's not just my family...

Saker Tue 19-Jul-05 20:16:10

That's quite comforting to know. My Ds2 (4) who has special needs including language problems plays constantly in the third person. If I reply to him sometimes he even adds on "said Gordon" or Henry or whatever engine I'm supposed to be. Is that what you mean?

I'd always assumed it was part of his strange language development but maybe it's just (delayed) play skills.

morningpaper Tue 19-Jul-05 20:21:01

Saker lol at your being an engine! Well it looks reasonably common ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now