Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

5 yr old refusing to wipe after going to the toilet

(5 Posts)
kangel Tue 19-Jul-05 13:18:08

Does anyone else have this problem or experienced this problem?

Our 5 year old refuses to wipe after going to the toilet and keeps making herself sore. She says she forgets to wipe, but we know its because she is too lazy to and is in too much of a rush to get back to what she was doing.

We have bought her the Kandoo wipes and told her they are her special wipes, but that hasn't worked either. We now have to check each time she goes which is fine when shes at home but whilst shes at school we can't. The other day it was so bad that when we picked her up you could smell the wee on her.

We've tried talking to her, explaining to her and also banning her from watching TV when she doesn't do it but nothing is working!

Any ideas?????

SoupDragon Tue 19-Jul-05 13:24:59

My gut feeling is that you have to leave her. When/if she gets sore, repeatedly tell her that it is because she won't wipe. Or make a big play on the "big girl" aspect and say she'll have to wear nappies like a baby if she can't do it? A reward system for when she remembers?

Tricky. You don't want to give her a lifetime phobia or anything.

kangel Tue 19-Jul-05 13:34:53

We have tried the 'big girl' talk and the going back into nappy talk too.

We haven't tried rewarding her for doing it though so will give that one a try too! Only problem I see with that is that she will always want a reward for years to come and tantrams will happen when we don't.

Will discuss it with dp. Thanks for you advice though!

Twiglett Tue 19-Jul-05 13:37:07

how about a reward / sticker chart just for a few weeks .. it only takes 3 weeks to form a habit .. luckily you have the summer coming up

maybe you could put the sticker chart on the toilet door so she is reminded before she leaves

SoupDragon Tue 19-Jul-05 13:52:13

From my experience, they seem to forget about the star charts after a while. Both DSs have forgotten abut the rewards when potty training etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now