Talk

Advanced search

How the hell do you get a 3 yo to give up her dummy??

(40 Posts)
rickman Sat 16-Jul-05 14:17:16

Message withdrawn

Nbg Sat 16-Jul-05 14:18:53

Buy a toy horse.

Yorkiegirl Sat 16-Jul-05 14:18:55

Message withdrawn

GetOrlaithOut Sat 16-Jul-05 14:27:02

Does she have it all day or just for sleeping? If it's just for sleeping, I'd say leave her with it.

In the day, hmm, I don't know - could you use a timer to say she can have half an hour at certain times in the day and then reduce it over time?

rickman Sat 16-Jul-05 14:29:58

Message withdrawn

JOSIE3 Sat 16-Jul-05 14:36:49

How about using a timer chart?
Make a chart divided into half hour slots for the whole time shes awake, take her shopping for special stickers and then explain that for every half hour she remains "dummy free" she can have a aticker. You can then further reward her with a treat at the end of the day depending on how many stickers she has - if you felt it was appropriate.

In my experience it would be easier for you in the long run if she goes "cold turkey". No more dummies during the day or night - otherwise you are just going to have to do it all again at night.

I've done this one myself!! Good luck

KBear Sat 16-Jul-05 15:11:27

Is she at nursery yet? Could you use the "none of the big girls at the nursery have dummies, they gave them to the babies" line? My DD adored her dummies and had one in her mouth and one in each hand until she was 3.5! Luckily for us, she got a hair on it once, gagged, was sick and then I said "aaah, that's because you're too big for it now, it's made you sick". Worked like a charm! Good luck with it.

pippi123 Sat 16-Jul-05 20:40:38

dummy fairy worked for us - she only got a packet of milky bar stars though!! More interested in little glittery footsteps that we put down near window where she threw dummy. (We had to be quite well synchronised)
She shouted it really is magic - it was lovely really. Then whenever she asked for dummy we reminded her about the fairy and she never really bothered again.
I didn't think she would ever give it up so don't despair!!!

expatinscotland Sat 16-Jul-05 20:41:44

Soak them in white vinegar. Let them air dry.

Then give her it when she asks. When she asks why it tastes so badly, tell her dummy starts to taste badly when you get too old to have one.

geogteach Sat 16-Jul-05 21:05:19

We told DS1 the cleaner had thrown it in the bin (it was her last day, so she didn't know anything about it)worked a dream!
DH's cousins (in Spain) were taken to the top of their appartment block and threw them to the dogs?!

wysiwyg Sat 16-Jul-05 21:12:52

Oh god..... just trying to get my 5 year old to give up hers!!!!!!!!!! She has two - have just got her down to one.
With DS I will be taking it away when he is 1, before he has any say in the matter.

(Still better than thumb sucking though IMO)

Toothache Sat 16-Jul-05 21:16:32

Riskman - I need to start a "How to get a 4 yr old to give up a dummy" thread!

It was made worse when dd came along coz he can't understand why she can have one but he can't. I'm going to watch the advice ehre very closely.

Toothache Sat 16-Jul-05 21:16:58

Riskman??????

expatkat Sat 16-Jul-05 21:32:53

This is a good time to get rid of it, and your biggest obstacle--believe it or not--is your own fear. I've done this twice (alas): Ds at 3, and dd at 2.5. Is there not something a bit more affordable that your dd wants ? I found that both kids got such pride from chucking their dummies into the bin. I praised them again & again, suggesting that we tell everyone: grannies, grandpas, teachers, aunties, uncles, etc. The present, thus, became secondary in importance--which pleased me, so I didn't feel it was all about bribery.

Look--I won't lie. The first 2 nights are difficult (which is pretty standard, evidently) but soon their sense of identity shifts and they don't even see themselves as a child who needs/desires a dummy. They get a bit been-there-done-that--dummies are for babies.

I do think, though, it would be helpful first to limit dummies to nightime only (be committed about it; hide dummies in high places, for example, so none can be found during the day). It will go more easily that way.

KiwiKate Sun 17-Jul-05 08:41:22

I agree with EIS about the vinager idea. She won't want it if it tastes horrid.

My MIL "lost" my SIL's dummy. SIL apparently spent a few days mooning around looking for the lost dummy, and then forgot about it.

LOL at "throwing the dummy to the dogs!" FANTASTIC IDEA.

bigdonna Mon 18-Jul-05 13:57:02

my nieces gave their dummys to the birthday fairies,in exchange for a present.Have you read the Noo Noo tree,its about a monster who will not gave up his dummy.

bigdonna Mon 18-Jul-05 14:23:20

sorry the book is called the last noo noo by jill murphy ,i must have read this book at least 50 times.

bambi06 Mon 18-Jul-05 14:28:39

o.k and how do you get them to stop sucking their thumbs.! my dd of 4yrs old knows its time but i feel awful when she`s sobbing in bed because she cant suck her thumb, we put a plaster onit and then she took it off after sobbing for ages .plus i know how good it tastes as i sucked mine until i was 11!!! so i can truly sympathise but i dont want her to damage her teeth. what can i do?

NannyL Sat 23-Jul-05 01:02:12

when a child is 3 and YOU dont want them to have something YOU dont give it to them....

yes tyhey will whinge and whine for a few days, maybe even a week, but once they realise you ARE seriuse about it and you WONT give in it WILL stop.

You just have to decide 'no more dummy' and MEAN no more dummy (in your head) and then get rid of dummy....

And think of in 1 weeks time it wont be as bad as today!

things like dummy fairy, / exchnaging dunny for a new toy at toy shop etc will rpobably help as well!

godd luck!

beep Sat 23-Jul-05 08:12:48

my 11 year old dd was just talking the other day about when she gave up her beloved dummy, I think she was 3 at the time and I told her that a friends baby needed them so she let me give them to him. I confessed last week that I had really thrown them in the bin, i hadn't realised she still believed we'd given them away!With ds2 we went to a shop and bought him a cuddly toy and swopped the dummies for it(need a helpful shop assistant!).As everyone says the first 2 nights are the worst. good luck.

GillLevey Sun 24-Jul-05 09:38:52

My sister told my nephew that they needed all his dummies so they could be melted down to make the fire engine he wanted for his birthday. He never asked for it again.

helsi Sun 24-Jul-05 09:48:21

Thats a good idea Gill.

We have never had that problem as dd doesn't have a dummy. Sje sucks her thumb instead now thats a challenge!

girrafey Sun 24-Jul-05 11:22:16

my mumcamein when i was 3.5 in the middel of the night on xmas ve and told me father christmas was confused he thought i was a big girl but i had a dummy like a baby. so unless i gave hime my dummy i was going to have tohave baby presents of nappies and bottles. i apparently spat it out and went back to sleep. i had the presents next day to distarct me, i asked for it that night and mum said i can call father christmas if you want and get it back but he will take your new big girl toys away. i never asked for it again. i guess it would work over xmas, birthday and maybe easter? hth

girrafey Sun 24-Jul-05 11:23:03

so sorry for bad typing, feeding dd. sorry x

mishmash Sun 24-Jul-05 11:30:10

We got out of the dummy thing very easily - DH was ill and his boss came to visit - DD had her dummy in and his boss just went over and jokingly took it out of her mouth and told her it was dirty and he was taking it home to put it in his bin - I encouraged him to keep going and that was it. She never asked for or missed it. But I guess that we were just lucky that the end of it came so easily.

Good luck Rickman!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: