Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

toilet training

(7 Posts)
mor Tue 12-Jul-05 13:23:33

My son (27 months) uses the toilet happily all day if naked. As soon as he has clothes on he seems to forget everything! Should I persevere or give up and try later? Anyone had a similar experience?

kgc Tue 12-Jul-05 23:30:37

Hi mor....my three year old did not potty train until very recently and has only just started to use the toilet, she seems happiest wearing nothing and wonder whether it maybe they feel the clothes may be getting in the way and hinder them and is too much effort.......do not give up as I have not and as your son is happy to use the toilet just bear with this phase and I am sure it will pass......maybe try and encourage to wear clothes and persist that is what I am doing......

mummy23 Tue 12-Jul-05 23:33:15

My DS1 was the same, i had to constantly keep asking if he needed to go to toilet, and sometimes he would and sometimes he wouldn't, but if we was going to go visit family i would tell him to have a wee b4 we went out and he would! It only took 8-9 weeks to get him completely of nappies, and he has been out of them for 5 months (he is now 32 months). But he still has the odd accident at night!

Hopefully your DS will start to remember that he is no longer wearing nappies but make sure if your going out take spare clothes! I was stupid to forget to take clothes on a few occasions!(lol)

Good Luck

Tortington Wed 13-Jul-05 00:00:56

make it fun with target practice

mor Wed 13-Jul-05 18:15:49

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Had our first accident free day today. Thanks for the clothing tip mummy23 - I have spares in the car and in my bag!

miggymum Wed 13-Jul-05 22:51:01

It definitely doesn't last long with the little accidents, persevere!!!

We are working at the night time training. DS is 3 too and most of the time his nappy is dry in the morning and he takes it straight off and does a wee.

One night last week I left it off and his bed was soaked and it woke him up so we've gone back to nappies again!!! He will get there eventually.

Sometimes he has little accidents through the day but not often!!!!

KiwiKate Thu 14-Jul-05 02:50:18

We rewarded success (with candles to blow out - ds was not into stickers). Started potty training at 2yo as he asked for potty (after we had shown him a potty book explaining the ins-and-outs of it). One candle for a wee and two for a poo (never had any trouble doing poos as he was always after "2 candles").

We were very casual about it, and put a nappy on for going out, but kept asking him if he wanted to go to the toilet (and of course took him whenever we went). Over a month or so he used his "going out" nappy less and less. If we are going out for short trips he now goes with no nappy, but still has one for longer trips (even though he mostly comes home dry). Saves the hassel of wet clothes or his embaressment if there is an accident in public.

We also started putting him on the loo more and more at home and phased out the potty which got "lost".

He's been nappy-less at home since 2yo (now 2.2yo). Initially we started with no pants. And then when we moved to pants, he did have a few accidents. I didn't make a big deal of it, but told him that next time I asked him to sit on the loo he needed to do that to avoid another accident. I made sure that if he hadn't asked for the toilet for a while that I got him to sit on the loo "just in case". When he objected I'd remind him that that last time he said he didn't need to go, he weed in his pants, so please sit on the loo for just a minute, and if nothing comes out that's ok. We haven't had an accident for about a month now.

Haven't even tried tackling night-time toilet training yet. Will do so when all else is resolved.

Of course, heaps of praise is always a good thing.

Good luck. Don't give up. Sounds like things are progressing quite normally for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now