Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Proud: ds rode his bike without stabilisers

(13 Posts)
Prettybird Mon 11-Jul-05 12:28:59

Just wanted to share my pride in ds. On Saturday ds (4.75) asked if we would take the stabilisers off his bike - which we did yesterday morning.

He then managed a few wobbly yards on his own - much falling off and yelling at me not to hold him (and dh videoing my big bum, as he kindly put it ), but he kept on getting back on and he did eventually manage a few wobbly yards on his own.

In the evening I took his bike over to my parents, so he could show his Opa and Granny how good he was. This time, after a bit of practice, he was able to go about 20-30 yards himself (the full length of Mum & Dad's driveway - there is no pavement). And he was also managing to get himself started occasionally, as opposed to me giving him a push.

He's still wobbly - but every time he manages to go a wee bit further!

Bless

clary Mon 11-Jul-05 12:35:47

prettybird that's very impressive, my ds1 was 5.5 before he did this.
Well done him!

charleepeters Mon 11-Jul-05 12:36:38

Well done Little Prettybird!

Gobbledigook Mon 11-Jul-05 12:36:49

Ahhh, proud mummy moments are lovely!

I was very chuffed this weekend as ds1 (4yr 3months) did his 15 metres at swimming (without armbands obviously) and got his badge! He was the only one in his class of 6 to do it too . I was SO proud!!

Prettybird Mon 11-Jul-05 12:48:48

It's helped that he's good on his Lyke-a-bike (he calls it hsi flying bike ), which he can go really fast in and happily lifts both feet off the ground and coasts. So he know how to "balance" on a bike - but it is more difficult to also do the the pedalling.

Well done gobbledigook's ds1! That's really impressive. Ds finally agreed to take his arm bands off yesterday for part of his lesson - but he then just bounced on the bottom, or insisted that I support him!

Gobbledigook Mon 11-Jul-05 12:50:10

PB - is that one of those bikes without peddles that they push along and lift their feet up? My friend has one for her ds that she got in Germany - she's had it a couple of weeks and this morning at nursery this morning she told me her ds rode his normal bike without stabilisers this weekend! He's not even 4 till the end of the month.

Prettybird Mon 11-Jul-05 12:57:33

Gdk - yes it is. You can see one here . It was a present from his (cycling) grandparents. Really good for teaching them the principle of balancing on a bike. Only problem is that they don't have brakes - and ds can now go really fast on his. He has to use his feet as brakes - a great way to wear through shoes! We took him to nursery on it - him on the pavement and us on the road. Unfortunately nursery has now finished for summer - but it looks like he will be ready to cycle to his school, when he starts in August!

golds Mon 11-Jul-05 12:58:27

Aahhh thats lovely, I can share in your proudness as my ds (5) rode his bike for the first time last weekend, still needs help pushing off but great once gets going. Its a big thing for them, he was chuffed to bits and tells everyone that he sees

Prettybird Mon 11-Jul-05 13:04:49

I remember my brother being acused by his primary school teacher of lying when he said he could ride his bike without stabilisers - he must have been a similar age. Maybe that was the start of his disrespect for authority!

....now if someone does that when ds starts school, I'll be straight down there!

Prettybird Mon 11-Jul-05 13:06:48

Gold - can your ds actually say "stabilisers*? I don't know what ds says, but it is not quite right - although you still understand what he means.

golds Mon 11-Jul-05 13:10:17

I don't know, I'll ask him when he comes home, it was actually dd who made him do it, she kept asking 'when are you ever going to ride without them on' and he replied tomorrow, when the next day came she said 'I thought you were taking them off' so he did and he did it, she ran up to him and gave him a hug - great motivation having your big sister make you do it.

Prettybird Mon 11-Jul-05 13:13:25

Bless ..... to both of them!

tabitha Mon 11-Jul-05 14:41:20

Well done to your ds, Prettybird.
He'll be doing wheelies before you know it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now