Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much pocket money for a 7 year old little girl?

(32 Posts)
batters Mon 04-Jul-05 08:38:32

The title says it all really.

dd is 7 and we want to start giving her pocket money. It would be dependent on her tidying her toys up every night before bed time.

But dp and I have very, very different ideas about how much pocket money to give her each week. I'm thinking £1, he's thinking (gulp) £4! Surely £4 is far, far too much for a little girl?

So come on court of Mumsnet, could I have some opinions please? Thanks!

jessicaandbumpsmummy Mon 04-Jul-05 08:39:27

i only got £5 pocket money a week when i was 13!!!

i would say a pound is more than enough for a 7 year old!

lilaclotus Mon 04-Jul-05 08:41:29

£1

MrsWobble Mon 04-Jul-05 08:43:12

we give 10p per week per year of age so that would give your daughter 70p. It depends a bit on what you expect her to be able to buy and what you would expect to continue buying for her.

The advantage of our approach (as i see it) is that it goes up by a small amount every birthday whereas if you start with £1 it's difficult to increase by small amounts.

assumedname Mon 04-Jul-05 08:59:01

10p per year of age.

batters Mon 04-Jul-05 09:30:16

Thank you all so far.......

Any more opinions, I want to be able to present dp with overwhelming evidence that I am right !

binkie Mon 04-Jul-05 09:45:54

Same principle as MrsWobble (how are you, MrsW, haven't seen you around for ages), for ds (six).

Instead of handing over the money, (which tends to get gloated over for half an hour & then lost somewhere) we do it as an "entry" in a little book; also then when he actually gets round to wanting something he's usually built up a little stash.

jampots Mon 04-Jul-05 09:48:04

£1 is more than enough but expect her to save a little bit each week

Tinker Mon 04-Jul-05 09:50:45

Oooh, I'd go for the £1 as well. Tried it with my now 8 year old and she kept forgetting to ask for it...

Miaou Mon 04-Jul-05 10:13:13

My dd aged 8 gets £1 per week too.

annh Mon 04-Jul-05 19:47:18

DS1 (7) gets a pound a week as well, although it actually gets noted in his "Cash book" and he can then use that amount at a later date when he wants to buy something. Four pounds seems like far too much at that age.

beetroot Mon 04-Jul-05 19:48:32

Message withdrawn

Enid Mon 04-Jul-05 19:55:06

I would give £2

kama Mon 04-Jul-05 19:58:46

Message withdrawn

tamum Mon 04-Jul-05 20:07:20

Dd is also 7 and gets £1. 10 year old ds gets £2. To be honest he's the only one who cares as he nearly always has something he wants to save up for, she forgets all the time. I would definitely say £4 was excessive (sorry Mr Batters).

nutcracker Mon 04-Jul-05 20:13:20

I would say £1 too or £1 to spend and £1 to save.

We used to get 10p every friday but we had to save it in a tin for holiday spending money.

frannyf Mon 04-Jul-05 20:45:41

I would give £2. She could actually buy something small eg. an inexpensive toy or a magazine with that, whereas £1 is more likely to just get spent on sweets, don't you think? Of course, you may not mind what she spends it on anyway.

essbee Mon 04-Jul-05 20:48:47

Message withdrawn

nooka Mon 04-Jul-05 21:24:35

How often do you expect her to tidy up, and how likely do you think it is that she will tidy up (how good is she at the moment?) If you are going to use it as a reward, then you should probably do it as a multiple of 7 - otherwise what will you deduct if she doesn't do it? Also what sort of things does she like to buy?

We've been thinking of it for ds (6) who's not that likely to always earn it, and likes beyblades etc. We were thinking of 50p a day, so closer to your dh, but not expecting him to get that much on a regular basis. Like the idea of the book though, we could get away with less if we did that (and he also plays with and loses his money).

dd on the other hand is satisfied with much less (although has a very sweet tooth) so we could give her less, but she's only 16mths younger than ds, so we'd probably need to give them the same amount.

The other thing I guess to consider, is would you get her less things if she had her own money? How often does she get treats, and what do they cost? Then you could balance it up, if you see what I mean

Posey Mon 04-Jul-05 21:49:44

We haven't got into pocket money, but my friend has an 8 year old who does. She gets £2 per week. For that she must make her own bed, fold her pjs and open the curtains. She gets a 10p fine if she doesn't. She can also be fined for truly bad fighting with her brother etc, but can win it back. She uses it to buy non essential toys, you know those things we think are a waste of money but they love, sweets etc

spidermama Mon 04-Jul-05 21:51:08

Mine gets £1. I have option to erode it if she's really naughty by 10p per crime. Hehehe.

fishfinger Mon 04-Jul-05 21:52:10

none
I get him a present at half terma dn nt he hols instaead

Cybermum Mon 04-Jul-05 21:56:33

My dd aged 8 has just have a rise from £1 to £2. For thiis rise she has to have her bedroom tidy on a Saturday (previously she did this for the priveledge of watching Dr Who but the series finished!!) I must admit she does save money better now as she can see that that £5 note or even £10 note is achievable so doesn't waste it.

bigdonna Mon 04-Jul-05 22:44:13

my ds and dd get £2.50 each.i dont think this is too much as my son buys his football magazine every week this costs £1.60.

MarsLady Mon 04-Jul-05 22:48:30

70p. 10p for each of her years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now