Talk

Advanced search

11.5 month old's tantrums

(7 Posts)
tomkitty Sun 03-Jul-05 19:10:48

DD has had a cold the past week and a half, isn't eating well and is teething too so there is plenty going on to cause her discomfort. I just hope this doesn't last.

She has always been so sweet tempered. Now she snaps probably 25 times a day. Almost every time I have to tell her no or take something away from her, 75% of nappy changes, before during and after her bath, while reading books or playing with blocks, whenever we are out and I have to put her back into the buggy, anytime she gets frustrated, tired, hungry. She screams and twists about and gives me the old stiff legs. Last night after her bath she reached up with both hands and yanked at her hair really hard. Twice she's bitten my arm. The intensity is frightening. Then it's all over and she's normal again, sometimes even smiling. She's like a little tornado.

I am dealing with it by diversion and kisses + doing everything I can to see she gets enough food/milk and naps. Any other suggestions? Do you think this will stop when she gets over her cold?

AvocadoLover Sun 03-Jul-05 19:19:47

My 11.5 month old DS has been getting similarly stroppy lately, but he doesn't have the excuse of a cold. No great suggestions for you though as it sounds like I'm doing the same things as you to cope with it all. Have started saying NO firmly, then putting him down/moving him and not looking at him until he calms down. Makes me a bit tearful though as he gets so upset, but calms quickly. As for nappy change/after bath dressing - I'd love to know what to do as its awful!

tomkitty Sun 03-Jul-05 19:31:41

Hmmm, so it may not be the cold.

Have you tried wearing a nappy on your head as you change hers? Sometimes that makes her happy. Works even better when DH does it.

Louise1970 Sun 03-Jul-05 20:13:10

Hate to be the bearer of bad news. But mine started at 13 months and it is still going on at 19 months. You have entered into the zone of major tantrums. (join the tantrum club) Nothing you will really do or say will make them stop. Just be patient, buy some ear plugs, meditate, count to 10, fifty times a day, walk out of the room and do something you enjoy for a while and try to switch off. As to going out - DON'T, its hell. When they are ill it just gets worst. Sorry. Merry Xmas.....

tomkitty Sun 03-Jul-05 20:40:22

Louise, I thought tantrum age was about 2 years old. This is bad news.

Louise1970 Mon 04-Jul-05 09:07:38

As i have been informed by many parents. This can start at approx 10 months and go on and on and on and on..... sorry. Just be strong. Also start diciplinning now too. You may as well get them both together.

kbaby Mon 04-Jul-05 21:37:49

my dd who is 13 months has begun having tantrums. They are worse if shes tired but generally she seems very sensitive so if you say to her 'dont do that' or 'no' she looks at you starts looking as if shes going to cry and then cries her head off. She can cry for ages after, i feel like saying 'it wasnt that bad' I generally just find something to take her mind off the crying so she stops. But we also have the going rigid when being put back in the buggy and now she can work she pulls your hand in the other direction and stamps her feet!! its quite funny at first.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: