Talk

Advanced search

3year old girl been in Albania for 5 months-language affected?

(7 Posts)
mum2oliver Tue 28-Jun-05 21:00:09

Im childminding for a girl who is 3 in august.She has ben to Albania for 5 months and has come speaking very very good Albanian! I cant understand a lot of what she says but we are managing.I repeat everything in English and tell her everything in English.We've looked at a few books and she doesnt know alot and doesnt seem to be learning alot either.Her acsent is so strong albanian which is making it extremely hard to pronounce english words.Will this delay her English language?
What does everyone think about this?
Oh her dad speaks in Albanian to her.
Im not saying any of this is wrong but whats the best way I can do this?

mum2oliver Tue 28-Jun-05 21:01:12

Sorry Iv just read this back and it seems Iv missed out quite alot of words!

spidermama Tue 28-Jun-05 21:04:20

I've read that children who speak two or more languages take slightly longer to learn their main language, but it'll give them a greater ability to learn more languages in the future. And surely it's a small price to pay for being bi-lingual.

LIZS Tue 28-Jun-05 21:05:33

I think it could delay her English initally but as long as it is consistent who talks to her in what language it shouldn't have any long term consequences. Sounds like you are already doing a good job and your patience will eventually pay off.

PollyLogos Tue 28-Jun-05 21:24:00

You should just carry on with speaking english - use mime, pictures, gestures etc if they help. She'll get there quite quickly. You'll be able to tell when she is starting to understand.Remember that understanding is always in advance of spoken language ie she will be understanding stuff before she starts to speak. Her dad should definitely carry on speaking Albanian to her.

I worked in a nursery school and we had a lot of 3 year olds coming in,in September knowing only Greek. Within a year most were speaking very well. Some start attempting to speak straight away, others seem to store it up and then suddenly come out with full sentences.

mum2oliver Wed 29-Jun-05 21:03:59

Oh great everyone thankyou.It seems Im doing ok.x

QueenOfQuotes Wed 29-Jun-05 21:13:20

It could take a little longer - but she'll be fine.

I knew a little boy (who was 4) out in Zim who spoke 3 languages (fluently!), he spoke English, French and Shona and he was a cheeky little mite as he would deliberately swtich between languages to confuse people - especially if he knew that the person couldn't speak on of the languages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now