Talk

Advanced search

What to expect in 6 week growth spurt?

(4 Posts)
themothership Tue 28-Jun-05 17:07:27

Hi everyone,

Would be very grateful for some advice as a first-time mum. My dd will be six weeks old on Thursday. She's always been a bad daytime napper (usually sleeps for 6 hour stretch at night if given a dreamfeed), but today has been particularly hard. She's been feeding more too, so I suspect she may be going through her 6 week growth spurt, but could this also be the reason why she's refusing to sleep?

Also she's crying more and more, and it's much quicker to escalate into a shriek. I know people say that crying peaks around 6 weeks. Is this true in other people's experience? I feel like I can't leave the house at the moment because she's so unpredictable - won't sleep, and screams and screams because she's overtired.

Please help!

CarolinaMoon Tue 28-Jun-05 17:15:09

yep. that was definitely when ds's crying peaked - he just cried and cried, and the nights were particularly hard to deal with. He just seemed to need feeding constantly and was never happy.

it'll settle down in a week or so, promise . Do get out though - fresh air and the warm weather will help her sleep and stop you going nuts.

love the name, btw!

themothership Tue 28-Jun-05 17:20:02

Hi Carolina, thanks. My dd came 11 days early (when I was 38 weeks) and I've been told conflicting things and whether she's consequently 11 days behind developmentally. I thought that babies who arrived after 37 weeks were full-term and there shouldn't be any difference, but dd was small - 5.09lbs when she was born, now around 7.10lb. Would this affect when she would have a growth spurt?

CarolinaMoon Tue 28-Jun-05 17:35:57

ooh, dunno - 38 weeks is full term, as you say, assuming the dates are right. My ds was 15 days late and he did all that at 6 weeks too so I wouldn't have thought it makes much difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now