Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

dr says dyslexic, school says not...

(7 Posts)
Badger7 Sun 26-Jun-05 22:42:53

My DS, age 6 has been diagnosed as having Attention Difficulties and Visuo-Perceptual Difficulties (Dyslexia), by a hospital Paediatric Consultant who is also a Learning Difficulties Consultant. He did warn me that teachers often dispute this sort of Dyslexia (apparently there are loads of different types) as the child can read well. The difficulty shows when getting information from the brain down the hand onto the page. He also has a lot of difficulty with drawing or anything judging scale.

When I went to school to discuss how they could help him next year in P3, they informed me that they had done a computer screening which showed he was not Dyslexic. The result sheet showed him to be below average in the 'visual' part of the test, which to my mind goes along with the diagnosis. They also said he couldn't have Attention Deficit as he is polite and not jumping about.

The consultant spoke to me last week and said that if the school treat him as if he is simply not trying hard enough rather than helping him cope with his problems it could have negative effects on him.

Any other mums here faced this? I thought the school would be overjoyed at having a diagnosis, as they have spent 2 years trying allsorts to get him to concentrate on tasks, not very successfully. He is, however, very good at reading, mental maths and talking!

hunkermunker Sun 26-Jun-05 22:46:14

It sounds to me (and I know nothing) like they might be worried about paying for support for him in the classroom. Is that possible?

starlover Sun 26-Jun-05 22:53:18

gosh, i can't believe that the school would ignore the diagnosis from your consultant, and tell you that they are right based on their computer screening!!!!

that's outrageous.;

can you get a letter from the paed telling them that he DOES have this and that he needs special help?

Badger7 Sun 26-Jun-05 23:57:16

Cost implication may come into it. I'm gobsmacked as I thought the reaction would be very different. When we first got the news I had a brief chat with the Head, she was v positive about it - said I should be glad as now they could help him.Complete turnaround with the depute! It is a good, caring school and I have DS2 on his way to it too, so I've got a lot of years to have a 'relationship' with the school. I really don't want a battle with them, but I don't want my son treated like a naughty boy if he is trying his best...

Unfortunately consultant is leaving so he won't be able to help personally, although he is leaving notes on it all for his successor (as yet unappointed...)

jayzmummy Mon 27-Jun-05 00:07:40

Badger.
There are a couple of things you can do.
1. ask the consultant to write a letter to the school confirming the Dx of Dyslexia and ADD. Also ask consultant if your hospital offer a reading clinic....they can offer coloured lenses which will help with visul difficulties.

2. when school receive letter ask for an apointment to see SENCO at the school. Then tell the SENCO you will be submitting a request to the LEA fo your son to be statuatory assessed by an educational psychologist.

You might get more help and advice if you post this in special needs as there are loads of mums who have children with ADD & Dyslexia.

My ds2 has both conditions. If your ds doesnt get the help and interventions now things will only become more difficult as time goes on.

Sax Mon 27-Jun-05 00:13:58

Very quick hijack sorry badger - Jayzmummy, if you get a minute would you mind having a quick glance at my last thread to see if you can answer my Q. Sorry again Badger!

madmumof4 Tue 28-Jun-05 11:57:35

Badger, Jazy is rightyour son needs to be statemented, the school cannot ignore a statement that have to comply with what it says. Beware though, statementing can take a long time. My daughter was diagnosed with Dyslexia (after a big fight with the school) and it took a year for the statement to finally be finished. It is worth perserving though because as I say the school cannot ignore a statement. If you write to the LEA asking for an assessment, they can also not ignore a parent's request and have to assess your son.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now