Talk

Advanced search

almost all mucous, culture today

(19 Posts)
haven Sat 25-Jun-05 00:44:32

i posted a thread before and didn't get much of a response. i am trying again. ds, two, has had mucous in his stools for a good bit now. i brought him in today and they are doing stool cultures on it, but when i got home and he went again it was almost ALL slime, and mucous it was the most disgusting. just tenged with the green color of his stools. it would help if someone here knew anything. i am really concerned about CF. mainly because of his history with respiratory and sinus and asthma problems. but, i would think they would have said something if that was a possibity.

essbee Sat 25-Jun-05 00:49:39

Message withdrawn

haven Sat 25-Jun-05 00:50:26

yes, but he has been tested a while back for most food allergies, and nothing has changed really.

HappyHuggy Sat 25-Jun-05 01:00:44

Hiya Haven

theres not many people around on a night time and the boards move less over the weekend too,

i dont have any advice but wanted to let you know you wern't being ignored

haven Sat 25-Jun-05 01:03:13

thanks again

HappyHuggy Sat 25-Jun-05 11:39:14

bump

foxinsocks Sat 25-Jun-05 12:09:29

Without divulging too much information , I have had mucous problems before (I'm not medically trained).

First time was when I had dyssentry - you haven't said whether he has diarrhea or whether his stools are solid. If they aren't solid, then mucous with diarrhea is often a sign of some sort of infection.

Secondly, a lactose intolerance causes excess mucous - I used to be lactose intolerant as a child and can remember having problems if I ate an ice cream.

Lastly, mucous in the stool, in the absence of an infection, can be a sign of an irritated colon. In an adult, signs of IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) would be looked for in addition to the mucous (crampy pains in the tummy etc.).

I don't know a lot about CF but recently attended a charity football match for it - I think there would be other signs like not putting on weight etc. The bowel problems for CF sufferers are because they are not absorbing their food properly so I'm sure there would be other signs.

foxinsocks Sat 25-Jun-05 12:17:40

haven, here is some info on colitis (inflammation of the colon). I'm not saying that's what he's got (by any means) but it might have a few pointers for you. Read the whole article because the bit about mucous is a bit further down. Hope that helps.

colitis

haven Sat 25-Jun-05 18:18:58

thank you for the sight. foxinsocks, it isn't like watery stools, mushy, and like sometimes there are food pieces, and big globs of like fat looking stuff, and big glogs of mucous. sometimes it is just mucous though. but about 60% of the time has food pieces now with in the last 3-4 weeks.

weight loss or gain, well he was such a large 1-1.5 year old. he hasn't gained any wieght within the last 6 months, he actually has lost about two pounds. not much. but think it is his age.

they are doing a culture, like i said, just always prepared for the worst that way, you are happy with whatever news they give

Tipex Sat 25-Jun-05 19:13:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

haven Sat 25-Jun-05 20:42:26

that is the reason i was nervous though, because of all his respiratory problems.

Tipex Sat 25-Jun-05 21:04:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ellbell Sun 26-Jun-05 22:43:36

Hi Haven
A good friend of mine has a ds with CF. (She may see your message on here, but I know she has computer problems at the moment.) I only know what she has told me, but what I know suggests that it would be quite unlikely for your ds to get to the age of two without anyone noticing anything. As I understand it (and I am ready to be corrected by anyone who knows more), people with CF are totally unable to digest anything unless they take artificial pancreatic enzymes every time they eat. My friend's ds had constant diarrhoea and was failing to thrive really badly. This was apparent after just a week or two from his birth. I hope this may reassure you somewhat about the CF worries, and I hope that you find out something helpful from the stool sample.

Ellbell Sun 26-Jun-05 22:45:36

Oh... sorry... just to add that my friend's ds is a normal weight for his age, but to keep that weight he has to eat loads of chocolate etc. to keep weight on him.

haven Mon 27-Jun-05 01:48:42

i am concerned, but not overly about the CF. I am however think that if i am informed, i will be educated to discuss issues with Ped.

Ellbel, i have researched CF considerably and i found that some people don't even find out until adulthood. there are over 300 mutated forms. some are from what i understand "just meaner". also only 10-15% of cases are actually caught very very early and most are about 1 years of age.

i asked information because sometimes black and white facts sound like everything. you know make you think that your child could have this or that.

ds has lost about 2.5 lbs. is this normal for a toddler. he maintained a 30lbs weight for the last approx. 8 months.

Ellbell Mon 27-Jun-05 11:40:42

Hi again, Haven. Sounds like you really need to get back to your dr and ask for some tests. That'll be the only thing that'll set your mind at rest. As I said, I only know the little bit that my friend has told me about her own experience. Good luck.

haven Wed 29-Jun-05 15:11:54

the bacteria cultures and toxins came back as normal. doctor said then there shouldn't be anything to worry about, but he also said that is was dierea. it wasn't, isn't. should i be concerned?

Harrizeb Wed 29-Jun-05 15:36:24

Hi Haven,

I have no experience of CF so can't really comment on that. I have noticed that if DS has a cold then his stools can be very mucousy(made up word sorry) but not to the extent that you have described. You are obviously concerned and I (personally) would go back to the GP and ask what the next course of action is to be, if s/he says nothing as there is nothing to be concerned about just explain that you feel that there is and that you would like further investigations to be done.

Hope things get resolved for you quickly.

Take care
H x

haven Wed 29-Jun-05 20:17:39

thanks, i have decided to wait about another couple of days to see if it clears up. it has been a while, a day or three shouldn't hurt. i am concerned but in order for the ped. to take me serious it needs to be right. i can't be a irrate mother. so wish luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: