Talk

Advanced search

Biting

(12 Posts)
TrinaJ Tue 21-Jun-05 21:17:26

My dd 2.5yrs has just started biting again, I'm a nursery nurse and at my wit's end! She only does it at nursery (I do not work in her room) where discipline is restricted to within the nursery's boundaries.
Any ideas to stop it happening?

zebraZ Tue 21-Jun-05 21:23:43

Why is she biting? Can you solve the problem(s) that is making her want to bite?

TrinaJ Tue 21-Jun-05 21:26:56

It's always arguing over toys, which i know is normal, but i want to teach her it's wrong, and another way to deal with it.

zebraZ Tue 21-Jun-05 21:31:09

Not sure if this will work, but could they... Make sure she doesn't get the toy, make the point that she would have had equal claim to the toy if she hadn't bit, but since she bit, no way, she cannot get what she wants by biting. Make a big deal of giving the disputed toy to the bitten child. I would think 2.5 yo is old enough to understand the 'consequences' thing (my 2.5yo dd would have understood, anyway).

Heading the problem off might help a bit, too, if she has some favourite toys that she always fights over and the staff are alert to that, they can seize the situation before the toy-fighting begins.

Otherwise, time will sort it...?!

TrinaJ Tue 21-Jun-05 21:36:32

Thanx, that's given me some good ideas,I think it's the most useful advice i've had. It's normally about a buggy! and always the same child, I have my suspicions that the other child may be trying to take the buggy away. Thanx again

zebraZ Tue 21-Jun-05 21:43:15

glad to help... I can certainly envisage right bru-has over a doll's pushchair in the 2-3yo room, between the girls!

(pssstt.. simple solution, get another, identical buggy!)

TrinaJ Tue 21-Jun-05 21:55:47

There'll always be something else!!
I'll keep the post going to report on progress.

TrinaJ Thu 23-Jun-05 20:57:08

No biting today!! Been watched closely though!
It always seems to be the staff's children that bite, I can't work out why?

Lilliput Thu 23-Jun-05 21:01:49

A friend of mine had the same problem but with hair pulling and was advised to make a tremendous fuss of the injured child and completely ignore her ds. This did work!

TrinaJ Thu 23-Jun-05 21:07:17

This happens any way, due to treatment being administered! and biter removed. But with no success as yet. I have decided to remove her into a time out situation and see if it makes a difference.

Caththerese1973 Sun 26-Jun-05 10:41:08

ugh, I can relate to this one. my dd used to bite all the time - now she is into pinching me (she is 2 and a bit, by the way). If you are really firm and just send her to the 'naughty zone' EVERY time she bites (even if it's not a hard bite) that might help. I think you need to be consistent. I have made the mistake of tolerating 'small' pinches (dd will say, 'please, just small pinch?' which I thought was cute. but I really think I have to take a stand on ALL pinching and biting or we will get nowhere.)

TrinaJ Mon 27-Jun-05 13:37:22

I agree with you, my dd went to bite me and ds on seperate occasions but i removed her both times for trying to bite. I also rewarded her for stopping herself biting when she was cross and it does seem to be working - so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now