Talk

Advanced search

Stammering

(5 Posts)
throckenholt Thu 12-Nov-09 10:30:19

My 6 year old (7 in Jan) has developed a stammer of the last few months. He didn't have a problem before that.

The stammer involves repeating words a number of times.

Is this anything to be concerned about ? Will it resolve itself ? Is it similar to the stammering that lots of toddlers get when the brain is working faster than the mouth ?

throckenholt Thu 12-Nov-09 13:19:04

bump

twolittlemonkeys Thu 12-Nov-09 13:23:47

I know a fair bit about stammering as my DH is a severe stammerer and it has held him back a bit and my DS1 sometimes stammers. Usually stammers resolve themselves and don't become an ongoing problem. Does the stammer come and go? My son's Speech & Language Therapist said that if it varies and isn't constantly there that's a good sign that he will grow out of it. Just keep an eye on it, don't interrupt him or try to finish anything he says/ guess what he wants as that will lead to frustration and make it worse. I know of friends whose children have developed a stammer around 6/7 and it has just disappeared over time. HTH.

throckenholt Thu 12-Nov-09 14:11:46

thanks - that is useful to hear.

It does come and go and so far we have made no mention of it. I was wondering whether to talk to his teacher about if she has noticed it at school.

ajandjjmum Thu 12-Nov-09 14:49:50

My dd sometimes stammered at that age, and the speech therapist said that it sometimes happens as the brain is working to quickly for the mouth.

She's 16 now - and the opposite seems to be true!!

She never did develop a stammer, although I was worried because DH had one as a child, so I can understand your concern.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: