Talk

Advanced search

Stammering

(5 Posts)
throckenholt Thu 12-Nov-09 10:30:19

My 6 year old (7 in Jan) has developed a stammer of the last few months. He didn't have a problem before that.

The stammer involves repeating words a number of times.

Is this anything to be concerned about ? Will it resolve itself ? Is it similar to the stammering that lots of toddlers get when the brain is working faster than the mouth ?

throckenholt Thu 12-Nov-09 13:19:04

bump

twolittlemonkeys Thu 12-Nov-09 13:23:47

I know a fair bit about stammering as my DH is a severe stammerer and it has held him back a bit and my DS1 sometimes stammers. Usually stammers resolve themselves and don't become an ongoing problem. Does the stammer come and go? My son's Speech & Language Therapist said that if it varies and isn't constantly there that's a good sign that he will grow out of it. Just keep an eye on it, don't interrupt him or try to finish anything he says/ guess what he wants as that will lead to frustration and make it worse. I know of friends whose children have developed a stammer around 6/7 and it has just disappeared over time. HTH.

throckenholt Thu 12-Nov-09 14:11:46

thanks - that is useful to hear.

It does come and go and so far we have made no mention of it. I was wondering whether to talk to his teacher about if she has noticed it at school.

ajandjjmum Thu 12-Nov-09 14:49:50

My dd sometimes stammered at that age, and the speech therapist said that it sometimes happens as the brain is working to quickly for the mouth.

She's 16 now - and the opposite seems to be true!!

She never did develop a stammer, although I was worried because DH had one as a child, so I can understand your concern.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now