Talk

Advanced search

Repetition of last consonant...weird speech thing going on

(11 Posts)
Flightattendant Wed 11-Nov-09 19:08:40

Ds2 has always learned words by saying the final consonant first, ie something like 'rabbit' starts off being 't' for a few weeks before becoming 'bit' then finally 'raddit' hmm or such.

Lately he has been constructing entire sentences using single consonants only...'ook, ummy, t t s t k t, ummy!'

Weird enough I know.

Today it has got mad.

He's started saying 'mummy, ook k k k mummy, Bob b b b mummy!' or ' biscuit t t t t' like he is repeating the last bit to himself for practise, maybe, or because it is fun hmm I just don't know.

Have found very little reference to this on the web and wondered if it is common, or whether he is as I suspected a bit of a fraek grin

Thanks.

Flightattendant Wed 11-Nov-09 19:09:27

It is like stuttering but in reverse iyswim.

moondog Wed 11-Nov-09 19:11:01

V unusual (and I'm a SALT)!

Flightattendant Wed 11-Nov-09 19:16:28

Oh bugger!!!
Thanks though

any thoughts? He has good hearing well I think so as he ahs been singing in tune since he was about 3 weeks old...lying in his cot singing the exact note of the music thingy to himself...

why on earth would he do this? He is 2.6 btw.

Have seen one study from 1986 saying it is due to parental prompting but I never prompt.

Flightattendant Wed 11-Nov-09 19:32:03

WOW Moony just found this

absolutely brilliant and fascinating.

It is his plosives and fricatives, he doesn't appear to be getting his b/p, d/t, g/k mixed up so not the same as the boy in the study

Can you have a look when you get a minute - I am in need of reassurance please! smile

moondog Wed 11-Nov-09 19:34:00

Very interesting.
I'm not a dysfluency expert though and a certain amount of dysfluency is natural in small children.

I can't comment over t'Internet, but suggest oyuy keep an rye, note when happened first and see how it is in 6 months.

Flightattendant Wed 11-Nov-09 19:35:01

Oky doke, thankyou I will do that. I saw someone saying their kid did it and it disappeared by about 4 hmm so that's good...

Thanks for your help.

CarGirl Wed 11-Nov-09 19:37:50

if he's that musical perhaps he just enjoys playing with language IYSWIM. ONly 18 months before it potentially stops!

I'd try and record him doing it seeing as though he's such a special boy to be talking like that!

Flightattendant Wed 11-Nov-09 19:39:35

another thing that occurred to me is whether it could be a symptom of autism, ie a form of stimming? When I first heard it it seemed like a nervous tic iyswim. (I used to do it a bit around 9yo when I was v anxious)

Flightattendant Wed 11-Nov-09 19:40:57

Maybe cargirl, thanks for saying that! smile will try and get a new tape for dictaphone.

I meant to say I actually still do it but only in my head - not out loud and usually when VERY stressed

and I have probably got AS.

CarGirl Wed 11-Nov-09 19:45:31

It could be useful to record it anyway then in case you want others to hear it in the future if you ever do need to go down a diagnosis route. I quite enjoy the quirks my dds have and just rationalise that they will be okay in the end!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now