Talk

Advanced search

They say kids will not starve themselves ... but DD seems to do just that

(9 Posts)
joburg Wed 11-Nov-09 12:00:04

DD was never a fussy eater ... before. Now all is changed since the last 4-6 months. She is 6 1/2 and i was hoping she could remeber/understand the previous times when she ended up in the hospital (in the last months we did nothing else than having fever, flue, infections, etc etc, and doctors explaining to her that she needs to drink/eat if she wants to be healthy). She seemed ok with eating after the last time we spent 2 nights in the emergency room, with pain and crying. But only 2 weeks later, meaning yesterday, she claimed she had a sore throught and refused breakfast. Then she came from school with her lunch box intact. She hadn't even drank any water. She felt weak so i had to put her to sleep for the whole afternoon. We talked about it (again!!!!) and she agreed she has to behave like a 'big girl', and understand about her getting sick without food/water. But today we had just the same thing. I had her hardly eating her breakfast home but nothing else in school. No food or water even touched.

Is this some kind of independence new reaction? What is it? What shall i do? For now i told her she's not gonna get any snaks, and as a qonsequence no cartoons tonight either. I don't know what to do any more. She is already so skinny i can only blow towards her and break her to pieces

edam Wed 11-Nov-09 12:03:00

Oh joburg, that must be very scary indeed. Could you talk to your GP or health visitor? Sounds like there is something psychological going on there. Maybe she remembers a time when she ate something and it hurt, or something?

edam Wed 11-Nov-09 12:05:13

Btw, personally I wouldn't cut back on snacks - you don't want to restrict the little she does eat.

Another source of help might be the school nursing service, or I think the school can put you in touch with an educational psychologist.

joburg Wed 11-Nov-09 12:16:17

hurt? DD was a good eater, not the fastest one but still happy to try new things all the time, i was so proud of her until 6 months ago. Lately she doesn't even want to touch the dishes she loves (today's case, when she brought back home her favorite stew) but that also comes in episodes, could be perfect for a week, and then hell, no eating for another week. Then more talks about health and 'us, being a big girl and listening to mami, and not getting sick' then one more period of complete no-no-baby-like reaction.

joburg Wed 11-Nov-09 12:20:18

edam, i meant the goodies, sorry. She gets her snaks any time she asks for them. i don't feel happy about eating at different times, dissorganized, but since she doesn't eat at all, i am giving her a snack here and there any time, just to keep her alive

ShinyAndNew Wed 11-Nov-09 12:29:32

MY dd1 used to be like this. She also suffered from almost constant dirroreah. Apparently after many many tests, all of which we had to fight for, we learned that dirroreah is more than likely 'overflow' <you don't want to know what that is> from constipation and she wasn't eating because she had 'learned' that eating hurts i.e. causes more constipation. But her not eating enough was causing constipation, so she was stuck in a vicous circle.

She got some laxatives and after a few months slowly started eating more normally. She can now finish, small meals. She is still fixated with food and what is healthy and what isn't, but her weight is much better. She is alomst in the 'normal' range now and she suffers with illness much less.

joburg Wed 11-Nov-09 14:04:38

Shiny, what is dirroreah? never hard of it? i tried of googling it brieflybut there was not much coming out (on a fast search)

ShinyAndNew Wed 11-Nov-09 14:32:13

Its bad spelling blush diarrhoea. Sorry.

I meant you don't want to know what 'overflow' is.

joburg Wed 11-Nov-09 15:38:34

shiny, thanks, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with DD's condition. Her stool is fine, and other than the fact that some months ago she started to refuse to clean herself properly, no other complaints! I would think it all is more of a growing up issue, personality thing, challenging the whole world (she has tendencies) rather than a physiological problem, until monday at least when we meet thwe pediatrition. damn, i'm tired and can't even see the keybord properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now