Talk

Advanced search

from bottom bunk to top bunk, cot to bed...

(9 Posts)
Hausfrau Sat 18-Jun-05 12:34:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lunavix Sat 18-Jun-05 12:38:02

Do you not have room for a smaller toddler bed for ds2 while ds1 gets a bit older?

Xena Sat 18-Jun-05 12:40:38

I wouldn't be as worried about the 5yo on the top bunk, more the 2yo climbing up there as well.

RTKangaMummy Sat 18-Jun-05 12:41:55

Can the side come off the cot?

Hausfrau Sat 18-Jun-05 12:45:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RTKangaMummy Sat 18-Jun-05 12:47:21

What about putting the mattress from the cot on the floor and tell him he is camping

Then in a couple of months when you think DS1 is ok to go on top bunk thenput him in lower bunk

frogs Sat 18-Jun-05 13:04:24

Most German cots have a system where the two central bars of the dropside can be removed to create a sort of escape hatch. If yours is a German cot, check if it has this -- on ours the two central bars are sprung at the bottom, so you push down and the bar comes out at the top.

If yours doesn't have this, maybe you could borrow one? It does seem to be standard on all the German cots I've encountered.

Otherwise I'd put the mattress on the floor as RTKM suggests. btw I don't think 5 is too early to go to the top bunk, if it's got good safety rails. My ds (6 in two weeks) is desperate to move to the top bunk but I've held off as it is an antique bunk bed with no safety rails at all. But I may let him move soon, as he hasn't fallen out of bed for years.

roisin Sat 18-Jun-05 18:16:51

Hausfrau accidents with bunk beds actually happen more often when children are playing in bedrooms with bunkbeds, rather than sleeping in them. So what I'm saying is that by having bunkbeds you've given them access to some risk, as you've realised by teaching your ds2 to climb down safely. I wouldn't have a problem with your 5 yr old in the top bunk.

We actually put ds1 in a top bunk well before he was 4, and never had any problems at all.

Although actually we did have an incident last week - they were both in bed, and ds2 was annoying ds1, and ds1 pushed him off the ladder

DS1 is nearly 8, so certainly should know better, as should ds2 for that matter. So age often doesn't come into it!

LIZS Sun 19-Jun-05 11:54:10

We moved ds from a low bed to a cabin bed (not quite as high as a bunk) when he was almost 4 - then he decided to night train ! It wasn't a problem though. Will porbably do the same when dd turns 4. Friends' ds had an Ikea high loft bed from before 3.

Agree with RTKM, as an alternative if it is a dropside cot can you remove it ? We found ours was still perfectly stable without it (because of the mechanism that side doesn't seem to support the frame of the cot) and dd used it as a first bed for over 6 months. That may give you enough time to get ds1 used to sleeping up higher without the distraction of his brother to begin with and "train" ds2 not to get up at all hours. Or have you got space to split the bunks into 2 singles for a while ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now