Talk

Advanced search

Plagiocephaly / cranial helmet

(6 Posts)
wheresmyliein1973 Mon 09-Nov-09 18:12:33

Hi,

Our son is nearly four and a half months old. He's our first and we're having a great time. The only fly in the ointment is that his head is mis-shapen (17mm assymetry) and we've decided to go down the cranial helmet route with Dr Christophe Blecher, and it is being fitted in the next couple of weeks.

We are very happy that we are doing the right thing for our DS, but I am fairly traumatised by the prospect of it all - how will he take to it, will he be able to sleep, will the helmet hold back any of his development over the next 3-4 months?

I'd really appreciate anyone's feedback and experiences on this.

Thanks

snowmummy Mon 09-Nov-09 20:28:38

Hiya

My daughter wore a cranial helment for 3 months between the ages of 6 and 9 months for brachycephaly and it worked wonders. I can't remember the exact measurements but after such a short time her head looked normal.

The lead up to having the helmet fitted was traumatic, in fact more traumatic than when it was actually on. She took to it really easily and didn't even seem to notice it was there. She continued to sleep well, both at night and at nap times. Her development was normal. We just carried on doing everything as normal. I think you'll find that it'll all be fine and not as bad as you are expecting it to be.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. If you have any other questions, please ask.

arabicabean Mon 09-Nov-09 21:34:49

Hi OP - I was in a similar position to you last year. Here is my thread www.mumsnet.com/Talk/8/561253-plagiocephaly-any-experience-of-this

We did go down the helmet route and it was the right choice for us. Three months later my baby's measurements were in the normal range, and he had a perfect head shape as a result.

merrymonsters Mon 09-Nov-09 21:45:20

My friend's son had an obvious flat area on his head as a newborn. When he slept he kept going back onto the flat bit.

They read up on it and decided to carry him in a sling all the time except when he was in bed at night. His head kept growing and the flat bit rounded out. They stopped having to carry him all the time when he started sitting up on his own. He's three now and his head is absolutely normal.

I don't know anything abou helmets, I'm afraid.

IsThisNameTaken Mon 09-Nov-09 21:46:03

DS had a helmet for 6 months (between 6 months and 1 year) - I think he went from 19mm assym to 12mm, but also improved greatly in flatness on the back of head (sorry, can't remember what that's called).

I too was worried about how he would take to it, but I think we were far more concerned than him! He slept fine from the first night and it never seemed to hold him back in any way.

The only tricky bits was DH and I getting used to taking it off and putting it back on after bathtime. But once you get the hang of the angle you need to get it at to pull off / put on it's no problem.

Looking at him now I am so pleased we decided to go for a hemlet, he looks perfectly normal.

Good luck, any problems do post again and will try to help!

wheresmyliein1973 Tue 10-Nov-09 09:23:38

thanks everyone, good to hear such positive feedback, will keep you posted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now