Talk

Advanced search

7mo not drinking much milk - is this a problem?

(3 Posts)
Undercovamutha Mon 09-Nov-09 16:03:51

My 7mo DS is drinking less and less milk. He is now on 3 milk feeds per day, and 3 solid meals. He eats the solid food very well (1.5 weetabix for breakfast!), but appears to be going off milk. I know this is fairly normal as my DD did similar, but it seems more extreme with DS.
He will take very little or no water, and has between 3-4oz milk per feed (therefore 9 - 12oz per day). He also has 2 or 3ozs of cows milk mixed with breakfast, and maybe a yoghurt also.
Does this sound like a problem? He only went down to 3 milk feeds cos he was so disinterested. His schedule is currently:
7am Milk
8am Breakfast
12noon Lunch (+ a few sips of water!)
2/3pm Milk
4/5pm Dinner
7pm Milk.

ineedalifelaundry Mon 09-Nov-09 19:01:07

Ok, just looked this up in annabel karmel's book. According to her, between 7 and 9 months, they should be taking between 18-21 oz milk per day. She recommends that if they won't take the full amount you could try making meals that include milk, such as cheese sauce on veggies etc. Also, don't forget you can include the milk he has on his weetabix in his daily total.

If you're still worried , try offering a milk feed mid morning - 8am to 12 noon seems a long time to me. But then I'm a gannet grin

HTH

Undercovamutha Tue 10-Nov-09 09:46:49

Thanks Ineeda. I think you're probably right about the mid-morning milk. I just cut it out cos he was only drinking about 1oz. Perhaps I will try to re-introduce it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now