Talk

Advanced search

How to encourage dd to walk?

(12 Posts)
Besom Mon 09-Nov-09 13:51:35

DD is a late walker. She's 18 months and will walk along with very little support, just holding on to my finger, and she clearly only uses this for a wee bit of occasional balance. But as soon as I let go, she'll fling herself to the ground very dramatically and go 'aaaargh!'

Any tips on how to build up her confidence?

CMOTdibbler Mon 09-Nov-09 13:54:39

A toy pushchair - offers very little support, but is there in their mind holding them up iyswim

Besom Mon 09-Nov-09 14:00:47

We've actually got one of those stashed away somewhere. I'll get it out and try her with it - thanks.

Scottie22 Mon 09-Nov-09 19:40:26

Use a wooden spoon - get her to hold one end and you hold the other. Just let go when she's not looking and she'll think you are still holding her up! We were given this tip by my dd's physiotherapist - worked a trick for my (very) late walker!!

SquirrelTrap Mon 09-Nov-09 19:42:14

I found quavers / wotsits offered just out of reach were a winner blush

Jamieandhismagictorch Mon 09-Nov-09 19:49:24

Yes, A biscuit on the knee when DS was a few steps away worked for us grin

Seriously, I wouldn't worry. She'll do it when she is ready. You will probably also find that when she does walk unsupported, there will be times she'll "regress" and want to hold on, like outside.

Besom Mon 09-Nov-09 21:33:11

Going to try all of these suggestions. Thank you!

domesticslattern Mon 09-Nov-09 22:04:19

My DD was a late walker, at 18 months. The CM advised us to get her some decent shoes, and then we did lots of the kind of table play (eg. water play, sand pits on tables) where you have to stand up a lot. Wheeled contraptions also a winner. Looking back, I don't know why we worried though, she was clearly just biding her time.

ilikeyoursleeves Mon 09-Nov-09 22:16:02

My DS was a very late walker, he cruised & used his walker for a while after a year old but didn't walk independantly until 20 months old. One weekend we got a packet of skips out and he walked the whole length of the room for one!!! blush

Just to reassure you, he is now 24 months and on his birthday he walked for 3 hours solid up and down steep hills at the zoo, he can't get enough of walking now!

Tommy Mon 09-Nov-09 22:27:19

the first time my friend's (also late walker) DS walked was she put on the naughty step for something - and he just got up and walked away grin

teatank Mon 09-Nov-09 22:42:51

tommy i like that one it made me laugh.

llynnnn Tue 10-Nov-09 08:51:13

me and dh used to sit about 3 or 4 steps apart and encourage dd to walk to each of us, when she made it we would tickle/hug her. at first she would do one step then just throw herself at us! but she got more confident and enjoyed it as a game! we then gradually inched ourselves further apart!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now