Talk

Advanced search

Should I start to get concerned or is this normal?

(12 Posts)
lovemylittlegorgeousboy Sun 08-Nov-09 12:07:35

My darling pfb is now 21 months old. He says a few words (when he feels like it) which is
Mum
Daddy
Up
Down
There
Book
Hello

But other than those he communicates through nodding or shaking his head, pointing to stuff, or grabbing my hand or arm and taking me to things.

He understands pretty much most of what I say to him and can follow instructions. If I say dinner is ready, come to the table he will, or things like. 'where's your pj's. Go get them for Mummy', he will get them.

He loves books and will sit for ages while I read to him, and if I ask him to point things out in the book he will. He's very sociable and loves being around people too.

I suppose I am worried about the extent of his vocabulary ( especially when I read on here that other children of his age are speaking in whole sentences!) and he seems content to grunt and say Mmmm to things rather than much else. My Mum says she thinks he's just being a bit lazy and I make life easy for him by understanding his grunts and getting him the things he's grunting for!

What do you think? Should I worry or just chill about it for now?

IdrisTheDragon Sun 08-Nov-09 12:10:59

I really wouldn't worry.

My DD had a similar vocabularly at the same age and between 2 and 3 it expanded a lot. Can't remember when exactly but by 3 she was speaking in full sentences all the time and understood by everyone else.

The fact that he understands what you are saying and can communicate with you are both good things.

Lots of children aren't talking a lot at that age.

purepurple Sun 08-Nov-09 12:12:27

There is no normal for language acquisition.
I wouldn't worry too much. He sounds fine. Some children don't start talking until they are 2.
Some children can speak in whole sentences at a young age.
Just keep on doing what you are doing.
It is dangerous to compare your child to other children (and to listen to your mumgrin).

HellBent Sun 08-Nov-09 12:14:15

Agree with Idris, speaking to him in sentences like you are doing is a good way of increasing his vocabulary. Does he do lots of "moo" "cow" things as well?

HellBent Sun 08-Nov-09 12:17:02

Try and get him to say please when he points instead of grunting, that should keep your mum off your back for a while!
My DD used to say peas and f**k you for please and thank you grin

lovemylittlegorgeousboy Sun 08-Nov-09 12:17:38

If I say what does a cow do, he will say 'moo' etc. He doesn't actually say 'moo cow' but will make the noise of it. Is that what you mean?

lovemylittlegorgeousboy Sun 08-Nov-09 12:19:11

I think my Mum would have a heart attack if she heard him say 'F**k you' for 'thank you'. grin

BertieBotts Sun 08-Nov-09 12:39:03

I have heard expect boys to have one word in the first year, two by the second, but be talking in sentences by 3. Anything more is a bonus grin

specialmagiclady Sun 08-Nov-09 12:50:18

In a way your mum is right. But it's not a bad thing at all. He's communicating with you beautifully, isn't he? So why would he need to communicate better? It sounds like you're really tuned into his needs and his signals, well done you!

My DS1 was just like this at this age. Lots and lots of non-verbal communication. When he started at nursery just before the age of 2 he started to talk "properly" incredibly quickly. This is because all the different carers didn't have the time or patience to work out what "num num" meant or whatever so he had to use all the knowledge that was already in his brain to produce the conventional words for things.

Now I can't get him to shut up!

Encourage your boy's non-verbal communication, but maybe try and avoid using "his" language for things - so when he says "moo" for cow, say "Yes! the Cow says Moo!" or whatever.

But don't worry, it will come very quickly and your mum will be able to join in with communicating with him too!

Clary Sun 08-Nov-09 12:56:41

lots of good ideas here.

Make sure you keep the word stimulation going - read to him, sing nursery rhymes, tell him lots of stuff etc.

But yes the rule of thumb is always words at 1yr, phrases (Daddy work! My drink!) at 2yrs and sentences at 3yrs.

So he is doing fine. grin

HellBent Sun 08-Nov-09 14:01:29

That is what I meant with the moo/cow thing, I didn't explain it very well!

lovemylittlegorgeousboy Sun 08-Nov-09 14:09:03

Thanks for the reassurances. I think it was easier in the days when you didn't have all this 'ready' information about children's development at your fingertips! The suggestions you've all given are great and I will put them into practice and see how we go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now