Talk

Advanced search

5yr old constant tantrums driving us mad!

(7 Posts)
t875 Sat 07-Nov-09 08:29:48

Our 5 year old just constantly has tantrums. We have tried sticker charts, time out, and it still doesnt seem to stop her from shouting the odds and freaking out with tantrums when ever she feels like it.

If we ask her to anything its a hassle.

The worst is at night, where she wont go to bed, and will literally jump up and down banging and shouting (god knows what the neighbours think!)

It seems she has no respect for our rules atall at the moment!hmm

any advise, tips would be great!

t875 Sat 07-Nov-09 08:39:38

want to add, we do a lot with her and we dont always say no, I try to be a positive parent, reward the good etc..

We lost our dog not a few months back he was 12. Wondering whether she has been affected by this.

Thanks for any replies!

t875 Sat 07-Nov-09 12:16:29

anyone? smile

twoisplenty Sat 07-Nov-09 13:19:13

My dd is 6yo. Up until recently she was fairly calm and sensible...what went wrong?? She tantrums every day, and everything is "unfair" to her. I hear "it's not fair" with arms folded every day.

I can only think that it's a phase that's normal (I hope). I am hoping that you have lots of responses saying it's a normal phase. I don't do sticker charts or any rewards, I just tell her to behave and then ignore the behaviour and get on with my tasks, to effectively show her my lack of interest in her silly behaviour. I suppose she is testing the boundaries as she is now in yr 1 at school, and perhaps feels grown up and wanting her own way.

I hope this helps to know you are not alone! But it's annoying isn't it?

purepurple Sat 07-Nov-09 13:30:48

Be consistent and stick to your guns. She must learn that no means just that.
Have you tried giving her choices?

t875 Sat 07-Nov-09 14:12:31

purepurple - Thanks for your responese. Yeah we do give her choices which i think possibly has been our downfall we have given her too many choices I think.

twoisplenty - Lets hope this is just a phase and it passes. I would try the sticker chart or reward system as with mine it was working, but it go hard as I was constantly taking them away. hmm

ki28 Sat 07-Nov-09 14:25:09

hi, god,bloody kids! have a read through the thread 'need help with handling... 3rd one down i think,its got some good advice on some of ya probs i think. il have a think if i can offer anything else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now