Talk

Advanced search

How to stop my ds and dd Drawing on the walls?

(19 Posts)
sahara Fri 17-Jun-05 10:33:07

I know most parents go through this at some stage but this is a nightmare.

Ds2 (3) and Dd1 (15mths) are both destroying my walls. They draw everywhere. I have spent at least 6 months telling ds that he should only draw on paper, I have taken the pens away when he has and still he does it. Now dd has picked it up aswell.

I just repainted the other pieces of art when I spot new artwork replacing it. I have put the pens out of reach and only pull them out under supervision, but ds will still sneak off and do it somewhere else.

Please just tell me what to do to change this as I'm in rented accomodation right now and I can't keep painting.

Help

Enid Fri 17-Jun-05 10:34:05

Hide the pens?

MarsLady Fri 17-Jun-05 10:35:13

PMSL! That's EXACTLY what I was going to post Enid!

sahara Fri 17-Jun-05 10:35:27

As I said I do hide the pens but ds sneaks off with them.

Enid Fri 17-Jun-05 10:36:36

then you arent hiding them well enough!

MarsLady Fri 17-Jun-05 10:37:04

sorry sahara. It was an instinctive reaction. I'm not sure what else you can do. DS2 should respond to stickers on a chart (rewards). My DTs are 16months and they haven't discovered pens yet, cos I be cruel!

Hulababy Fri 17-Jun-05 10:38:57

PPut the pens very high up so he can't reach them?

aloha Fri 17-Jun-05 10:40:50

Sorry, but you have to hide them better!

sahara Fri 17-Jun-05 10:41:11

I hide them on top of the fridge which is very high.

I try to give him colouring in time in the afternoon though, and it's then that it happens, but I get the impression that maybe I should just not let him draw at all.

edodgy Fri 17-Jun-05 10:41:26

or give them chalk it comes off easier. Also u could always paint part of their bedroom wall with that chalkboard paint that u can buy and then give them chalk that way they can happily draw on the wall.

sahara Fri 17-Jun-05 10:44:57

I like that idea edodgy, I had thought about sticking up large sheets of paper but I suppose they would just rip them off.

But to all those who said just hide them better, I do but I still pull them out for activities as I'm trying to keep my children stimulated and as I said in my original post He sneaks off and does it

Hulababy Fri 17-Jun-05 10:47:35

Get an aquadraw, and a magnadoodle type thing. Much tidier

Miaou Fri 17-Jun-05 10:51:28

Sahara, in order for your ds to sneak off and draw on the walls, then by implication he does it when you are not watching him, surely? If so, then when you get the pens out, sit with them both the whole time, don't wander off and do anything else, until the pens go away again. If you do this consistently then after a while they will forget about drawing on the walls.

Slink Fri 17-Jun-05 11:00:47

Hi we went through this faze when dd was 2, and yep we threw all pens out and she was not allowed fels etc. Now she is learning to write so we are back to doing it again on my walls she writes her name mins and dh's (grafftii artist i think) so again we have banned all pens and she is only allowed to use a pencil on paper and when we are with her............have to say early days but working

starlover Fri 17-Jun-05 11:02:36

throw the pens away!
if your ds is sneaking off to do it then he KNOWS it is wrong. so next time he does it throw his pens in the bin.

basketcase Fri 17-Jun-05 11:06:41

I know how you feel - my 18 month old has drawn in crayon all over our (newly painted) home. My DD (4) desperately loves drawing, painting, all arts and crafts and it is so hard to keep them away from her sister. She doesn’t sleep during the day anymore so not really able to do it away from her and as best as I supervise, crayons seem to materialise out of thin air. We have tubs that are kept up on top of DD1s wardrobe, only used with supervision and STILL DD2 finds them. She is so fast too - one drops on the floor and she grabs it and scribbles for England whilst I answer the phone/get the mail/go to the loo/anything that causes a minor distraction. It is like a game for her and I am losing big time.
I know better supervision, counting them out and back in again tactics - I was a teacher FGS - but still failing to manage it - really symapthise.

Does anyone know how to get crayon off cream walls that are painted with that non washable paint so can’t scrub down? Be grateful for any suggestions...

Cam Fri 17-Jun-05 12:05:05

When my dd was about 18 months I bought her a plastic easel from elc, put up large amounts of paper, some pens, finger paints etc. also chalk for the blackboard side. With your 2 you could put up paper on both sides or they could take it in turns to draw/paint and chalk.

had this easel up in the kitchen every day until she went to school full-time. She knew that was the only place where she was allowed to do "art"!

MaloryTowers Fri 17-Jun-05 12:12:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bigdonna Fri 17-Jun-05 14:33:46

do you punish him for drawing on the walls,because at 3 he should understand maybe not the 15mth old.Saying this mind my friends kids still draw anywhere she also left them painting they flicked the paint all over the ceiling"the little darlings".Her kids are 6 and8.These same children have access to all materials at my home and they would not dream of writing anywhere.!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now