Talk

Advanced search

22 Month old Biting and pulling hair - advice

(2 Posts)
Eve4Walle Fri 06-Nov-09 17:19:11

My 22 month old son has taken to biting me when excited and also pulls my hair. The only other person he does this to is his sister who is 6. I tell him off everytime he does it but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Does anyone have any advice on how I can deal with this? I know he'll grow out of it but he hurts!

Reesie Fri 06-Nov-09 19:23:34

Just tell him firmly 'NO WE DE NOT BITE' and remove him from the situation. Pop him in the corner and ignore him for a few mins while you lavish attention on the bitee. Also get him to say sorry afterwards.

You might hear some people say to bite him back but in my opinion - you are his role model and he will copy you - so if any behaviour that he may do is unacceptable, then you should not do it too.

This is normal development - a quarter of toddlers bite. His brain is still developing and he cannot control the feeling that he has and has few social skills as yet.

May take quite a few months to pass. DD1 was a very prolific biter. Would be like a little hannibal lector at toddler group sad. She now is nearly 3 and is the most well behaved fantastic toddler you could meet (not just my opinion!).

It shall pass!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now