Talk

Advanced search

How long did it take your 3 year old to make specific friends at nursery?

(9 Posts)
Aubergines Fri 06-Nov-09 14:52:27

I ask because DD1 started nursery about 6 weeks ago. She has never been in daycare etc so communal childcare is new to her. However, she has always been taken to lots of baby and toddler groups and has made friends with the children of parents I meet-up with lots.

Anyway although she seems very happy at nursery she always says nobody plays with her (this does not appear to be a complaint, she just states it as an unimportant fact).

Today I asked the teacher who said she has no special friends but plays alongside the other kids very well. The teacher was unconcerned and said its an age thing and lots of three year olds start nursery like this.

What are others' experiences of friendships at nursery?

canihaveapeeinpeacepleasebob Fri 06-Nov-09 15:14:19

It's very common for 3 years olds to play alongside but not really with other children. It is nothing to worry about, they are just developing their social skills.
My ds was just the same when he started in jan. I also spoke to his teacher as I didn't want to think he had no frineds. I think some times he said no one as he didn't know their names.He now has a lovely little group of friends, but he still sometimes says he's played with no one!

iwantitnow Fri 06-Nov-09 16:43:33

My DD is the same and about to be 3. It is frustrating, made worse as there seems to be a dispropotion number of boys at her pre-school and she doesn't seem to make friends with boys though she loves cars and trains. I hope she does develop more friends in time but I have noticed that some children go through the pre-school without having a group of friends. I'm not sure its that important before reception.

ruddynorah Fri 06-Nov-09 16:45:49

dd is 3.5

some days at nursery she did nothing, played with no one, had nothing to eat, and there were no teachers or toys there! wink

IdrisTheDragon Fri 06-Nov-09 16:49:55

DS didn't really have "friends" at preschool (he was there from 2.5 until just over 4). He then started in mixed nursery/reception class and made friends then. He is now in year 1 and definitely has friends

canihaveapeeinpeacepleasebob Fri 06-Nov-09 16:53:47

ruddynorah your dd and my ds must be at the same school!

anniemac Fri 06-Nov-09 16:55:09

Message withdrawn

acebaby Fri 06-Nov-09 17:50:00

DS1 has just this week started to talk about people by name, and play with particular friends. He is 4.3, and none of his teachers have ever flagged up any behaviour or social issues. While some 3yos play together (my friend's DD had proper adolescent style friendship issues at 3.2!) - many don't.

tryingtoleave Sun 08-Nov-09 10:51:13

DS started nursery at about 2.5 and he was there for a term and a half (of rather tricky settling in) before it became clear that he had a special friend. I don't think it means much - just that they both like playing cars.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now