Talk

Advanced search

Acting "up"?

(4 Posts)
plexi321 Fri 06-Nov-09 10:15:58

My son (3) goes to nursery 3 times a week for a couple of hours. Everytime we go he acts all shy and won't go in the room and it's everything his key worker can do to get him there. He doesn't cry and is perfectly fine for the whole time he's there it's just the getting there part?

He used to be fine going there, loved it even, but I think the change came when he moved up to the bigger kids room. We were told then that he was not listening to what the staff were saying, that he doesn't always do what they want him to do (which sounds pretty normal for a 3 year old?) I was even pulled to one side and told of all these problems with his behaviour. Having never had any issues with him before, I think I may have gotten stressed about the whole thing and he's picked up on that?

I drop him off and end up in tears on the way home because I think I must be the worst parent in the world.

So how do I get him excited about going again?

MrsGravy Fri 06-Nov-09 10:24:57

TBH, before I tried to change his behaviour and get him all excited again, I'd be looking at what's going on at nursery. Exactly what is he not listening to? What are the problems with his behaviour? Could it be that the way the staff are dealing with him are making him unhappy? Could they be expecting too much from him now he's in the 'bigger' kids room?

I'd stop beating yourself up (as you say, YOU've never had any issues with him) and look a bit more closely at the nursery. Is it definitely the right place for him?

ypalmer1 Fri 06-Nov-09 10:39:35

I agree, I would definately ask the nursery what he is not doing at nursery and look into it a bit more. If he was perfectly fine before its more to do with the activities and the possible way they are dealing with him at the new class. good luck

plexi321 Fri 06-Nov-09 12:08:06

Thanks

To be honest I have thought that the nursery seems to be making more of his behaviour, which is not listening, than needs be. After our chat I did notice that he wasn't always listening to instructions, but was never that concerned. He just seemed like a normal 3 year old (whatever that is).

I have spoken to other mums there and we all agree that something is amiss in that room. I'm going to keep an eye on things and see how he progresses in the next couple of weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now