Talk

Advanced search

poor pronounciation in 2.8 yo

(10 Posts)
Sallyallyally Thu 05-Nov-09 17:01:22

My DS is right on track developmentally apart from his speech. He seems to have a fairly extensive vocabulary but it is like talking to a Furby. It's mainly the beginning sounds..moon is noon, train is dain 'this one' is 'is un' ..we can understand him but everyone else needs a phrase book. The health visitor says she thinks it is just a maturity thing and he will get to grips with it eventually, and his hearing appears to be pretty good.He has complete understanding but won't engage in much conversation (thats not to say he isn't noisy!)..for example at the weekend

Me 'Would you like a sandwich'

Cousin 2.2 yo 'yes, a ham sandwich'

DS 2.8 yo 'blows rasberry'..'

Me 'Would you like a ham sandwicj?'

DS 'choo choo dain, NINE (mine!)'
Please could someone reassure me that he is not the only nearly three year old in the world who does this. Any speech games we can do with him?

chuckeyegg Thu 05-Nov-09 19:52:02

My DS is doing speech therapy and pronunciation at this age seems to be low down on things to worry about as long as he is understanding and trying the correct pronunciation will follow.

Doobydoo Thu 05-Nov-09 19:55:21

My ds2 is 2 years and 7 months and sounds similar to yours.He has fab vocab but can be hard to understand at times.I would not worry at this stage.If my ds is still like he is at 4ish I will seek advice.

allaboutme Thu 05-Nov-09 19:57:42

my ds is 4 and sounds similar. he is having speech therapy now, but salt has told me that these sounds should be there by age 3.8 usually and thats when they would step in to help, so i should think he's fine at only 2 smile

madamy Thu 05-Nov-09 19:58:53

He sounds like my 2.6 ds! My 2 dds were chattering away like mad at this age so it's been a bit of a shock to have to translate all of the time! I've not spoken to a HV as I feel sure he's normal for a boy! He seems to understand lots and will jabber away happily.

Flightattendant Thu 05-Nov-09 20:05:47

LOLOL at talking to a furby, sorry grin

Mine is similar. He's 2.6.

IN fact most words have no entire front part.

ie he will say

't .. t .. t ..s ! Ummy!' with great animation and I have no fecking idea what he is on about.

We are beginning to get beginnings of words now, but only some...the rest are purely their last syllable/sound. It's truly weird.

ds1 was a proficient speaker at this age. It's not fair!

Maveta Thu 05-Nov-09 20:11:48

not alone at all! I understand about 90% of what ds says, dh a bit less and everyone else except my parents (who believe he has spoken in clear sentences since he was about 1 wink) needs translation services. In his case its the end of words, they all burble off into the same nondescript melt of vowel/consonant sounds. He has a good vocab and understands everything but is far from talking in sentences.

Scottie22 Thu 05-Nov-09 20:56:15

My dd is the same too so is not just a boy thing sad Like you Flightattendant, I have a ds who was sooo clear at this age I wonder if I have unrealistic expectations!!

Some days dd is quite clear and other days like today her sentences meld into a general collection of sounds and a few clear words! I usually get the gist of what she is saying but not always easy. She struggles to move her tongue from side to side or lift it up which I'm sure has something to do with it!

Flightattendant Fri 06-Nov-09 07:59:02

Scottie, has she been examined for tongue-tie? Some babies have this and cause probs with feeding etc. Not sure if it's sort-outable at 2 or not, but worth asking hV.

Sallyallyally Fri 06-Nov-09 18:07:36

Thanks everso..this is very reassuring. Daft isn't it..he's potty trained himself, has the agility of a circus monkey and obviously has an amazing imagination (little red riding hood story finished by DS flying in helicopter and rescuing wolf..like the twist!) and yet I am focused on what he can't do. Blimey..I'll never get to grips with this parenting lark.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now