Talk

Advanced search

DS and his superhuman sense of smell

(5 Posts)
fusili Thu 05-Nov-09 14:53:41

DS (4) has an amazing sense of smell, which he uses just the same as any of his other senses. He can smell a seat and say who has been sitting there. The other day, I was unpacking a bag of hand-me-downs from a friend and he said 'that dress smells of Lexi', (the girl who would have worn it, though he wouldn't have known). Anyone else come across this? I just find it fascinating...

Mcdreamy Thu 05-Nov-09 14:57:24

I remember DD going to @Bristol a couple of years and attending a mini workshop about smell. It was aimed at school children and most of the children around the table were about 8 or 9. DD was 3. The teacher passed around cannisters of different smells. DD got every single one, the older children got a few. I was amazed as were the older kids but the lady said to us then that the younger the child the more acute their sense of smell, it diminishes with age.

thatsnotmymonster Thu 05-Nov-09 15:01:30

My 4yr old ds is EXCACTLY the same.

He even did the same- I was unpacking bag of clothes and he said 'those clothes smell of Bella'

He was having a pizza that had had 1 olive on it which I removed before cooking it. He then refused to eat the pizza saying that it smelled like olives.

There are numerous examples of this. It is extraordinary!

DownyEmerald Thu 05-Nov-09 16:18:19

Mine can smell dog poo a mile away!

A couple of times she's said 'what's that smell' and I've not really taken any notice, then later on found a smidgeon on welly, or doormat or something.

Jamieandhismagictorch Thu 05-Nov-09 16:24:17

DS1 (age 9) has got a really good sense of smell too. He is also a very fussy eater, and I think the two are linked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now