Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Toddler spoon-handling (or not!)

(9 Posts)
fishtankbrain Thu 05-Nov-09 12:18:38

My 17m DS has always been a good eater - I did a mixture of purees and BLW with no real problems at all. However recently he has refused to be fed with a spoon (except for his absolute favourites of weetabix and yoghurt) and shows no interest (except very occasionally) in feeding himself with a spoon.

If I put the same food in a sandwich so that he can handle it himself then he's absolutely fine (spag bol sandwich for lunch yesterday!).

Do you think I should be concerned about his reluctance to use a spoon or be spoon fed?

Thanks!

MrsBadger Thu 05-Nov-09 12:42:56

nope

he is just smart enough to realise it is much easier to eat with his fingers.

keep offering him a spoon to use and let him see you and dh using spoons to eat cereal etc

christmasmum Thu 05-Nov-09 12:50:40

Hi
My DD is 22 months now and has gone through every stage of spoon love/hate! She used to snatch it off me to feed herself, and now she takes about 3 spoonfuls and says 'help me' and makes me feed her the rest of her bowlful. I would say it's a phase and to go with it and not worry too much!
xx

WonderBundlesMommy Thu 05-Nov-09 14:41:44

Fishtank - No advice but DS is 17m and doing exactly the same. Always a great eater, used to take an interest in the spoon but now will have nothing to do with it no matter who is wielding it. Everything with the hands (even cottage cheese, cereal, yogurt....). I'm just continuing to give him the spoon at each meal and figure someday he'll realize it's a much more efficient way to get his rice to his mouth....

eeky Thu 05-Nov-09 19:43:44

my dd has been the same, she has steadfastly refused to feed herself and just opened her mouth to be fed like a baby bird. In the last month (she is just 18m) she became very stroppy about being fed, would pick up food only (also apart from weetabix). We have a 6 week old ds and have been really looking forward to her being able to feed herself, so I was despairing. Then 3 weeks ago she just pulled the spoon off me and fed herself! After a few days she can do it perfectly and I can leave her to it. I guess they all do it when they're ready!

Scottie22 Thu 05-Nov-09 21:00:38

My dd is 29 months and has only been eating consistently with a spoon or a fork rather than fingers for a few months now! My ds started reception with several children who still use their hands rather than cutlery to eat...

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Thu 05-Nov-09 21:05:38

We've had this for about the last 4-5 months, but 2 weeks ago DS refused to be spoon fed, I let him get on with it, and he now feeds himself everything. it's brilliant (he's 23mo btw)

It's difficult, but go with what works. If he's happy eating anything you put in a sandwich, go for it. Maybe try pitta/bagels/muffins/tortilla wraps.

AitchTwoToTangOh Thu 05-Nov-09 21:08:56

what about trying a fork? my 13 month old is having some little success with a sharpish wee metal fork, but shows no interest in spoons. dd1 could use spoon and fork by 16-17 mos but as to whether she did or not... that's another matter. grin plenty of cultures manage fine without them.

fishtankbrain Fri 06-Nov-09 13:03:17

Thanks all for the reassuring advice. Today I just left him to it with a bowl full of chicken and ham pie and his spoon and fork. Much to my surprise, about half way through he switched from fingers to trying to use the spoon and fork and made a pretty credible stab at it!

Clearly he reads mumsnet and had realised that I was slagging off his skills grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now