Talk

Advanced search

Potty training: night-time side effect - I need my sleep HELP!

(13 Posts)
ImSoNotTelling Thu 05-Nov-09 10:57:36

DD1 (2.4) has been doing really well with the potty training, hardly any accidents (it's been just over a week). All good. She's still in nappies at night.
However last night I was awoken by a little voice "mummy me do wee wee mummy quick mummy I go toilet". Obviously it's great that she is aware that she needs to go and if it's waking then that is very clever of her.
So I guess whenever she calls I need to go and sit her on the toilet/potty? She's not good enough with her trousers/wiping etc to do it herself. And will I have to do this for months until she's really ready to have nappy off at night?
I know it sounds tight but I'm BF a 4mo so in the end I was up 6 times last night and it was pretty bad. I can't tell her to do it in her nappy though - as that will undermine her good work in the daytime? And what about the fact that the 2nd time she didn't need to do anything ie she'd twigged that if she shouted she needed a wee I'd come to her and give her some attention in the middle of the night?

I'm VERY confused and rather tired.

Please help smile

3l15a8eth Thu 05-Nov-09 11:35:04

most children don't get night at the same time as days. I said mine have to have two weeks of dry at night before no nappy. To be dry at night your body has to produce a chemical that slow down urine prodution. Yor bladder has to be big enough as well. You could try incresing fluids during the day. Not to close to bedtime. Try pullups or something like that so they can pull them back up. put a potty in the bedroom so they can go on thier own. This is only a good idea when they are able to go on thier own during the day.

ImSoNotTelling Thu 05-Nov-09 11:47:02

Thanks 3l that helps. She can't go on her own in the day though - what should I do about her shouting at night? Tell her at bedtime that she's to go in her nappy? Or get up and help her go? And then, what happens if she starts saying she needs to go to get some company/out of bed etc?

ImSoNotTelling Thu 05-Nov-09 12:23:34

Bump for lunchtimers smile

paranormalghostygoat Thu 05-Nov-09 12:42:27

ok the only thing I can think of is what about if you woke her up to go to the toilet about midnight? Would she go back to sleep again quite quickly? (or perhaps just before you go to bed?)

As an alternative could you say to her when she reaches a certain number of days in a row then she can start at night or say at the moment she just has to worry about wee wee during the day and has a nappy at night for a good nights sleep.

Hope someone else will have more suggestions for you

ImSoNotTelling Thu 05-Nov-09 13:56:50

Thanks paranomalghostygoat.

I am still at a bit of a loss. She has obviously taken the "go in the potty" message very seriously and was quite upset when I explained everything and suggested she do it in her nappy. Which is why I ended up taking her to the toilet.

Will have anotehr think this afternoon about what to do. I feel so crappy today though and the thought of being up in the night helping DD1 with the toilet, and feeding DD2, it is just too much sad

Babymakes4 Thu 05-Nov-09 14:07:26

We had this with our DD1. We said it was OK to go for a wee in the nappy if she needed to at night. We didn't use nappies or pullups at all during the days so we had the rule that you could go in the nappy if you needed to. She is doing really well now and is actually 1 weeks through her 2 weeks of dry nights before we take the night nappies off for good.

ImSoNotTelling Thu 05-Nov-09 14:09:59

I will have another chat with her at bedtime. She is in knickers in the day as well. I thought it was all going rather too well, they always find a way of bunging a spanner in the works eh [tired smile]

vesela Thu 05-Nov-09 16:45:30

DD has done this for a while - although she's only been without night nappies for about three weeks, she stopped being happy to wee in her night nappy a long time before that.

I've put the potty right outside her bedroom door, which is half open, and the light is on in the corridor so in theory it shouldn't be difficult for her to get up and go by herself. But she doesn't seem to be ready to do that yet.

So we have hardly any wet beds, but a wake-up call once a night (usually just as I'm drifting off to sleep...). I don't really know what to do about it except wait.

I feel for you with a 4-month-old too!

ImSoNotTelling Thu 05-Nov-09 18:19:49

Thanks vesela. Seems like (and my instinct is) to take the potty and put it in her room (she sleeps with the door open and hall light on too. Then if she needs to go I can plonk her on the potty quietly quick on and off, which isn't half as exciting as her sitting on the toilet with me having to hold her, with all the lights on etc. So hopefully she won't say she needs a wee for some attention as much.

I mentioned earlier going in her nappy at night and she didn't look impressed and I don't want to undermine all her excellent efforts in the daytime IYSWIM. She is doing really well - I was just putting DD2 to bed and when I came down she was sitting on the potty with her trousers and knickers down and had done a huge poo!

GreenMonkies Fri 06-Nov-09 13:11:51

I used to lift DD1 and put her on the loo when I went to bed (so about 11pm) and tell her to do a wee, she would wee in her sleep and I would then put her back to bed. Every week or so I'd leave her and see if she went through dry, and as soon as she did I stopped lifting her.

With DD2 I just kept her in nappies at night until she was dry right through. She was in the bottom bunk bed so lifting her was all but impossible, but she point blank refused to have a nappy on at pyjama time, so I had to wait until she was asleep and sneak one on then!! It was a good 6-9 months from dry all day to dry all night for both of mine, but then they were dry in the day very early, (21 months both times) so were still wet at night until they were around 3.

pranma Fri 06-Nov-09 13:42:23

why not pott in room and pullups not nappies or even no nappy at all she may well just use potty herself-maybe reward dry nights when she doesnt wake you

ImSoNotTelling Fri 06-Nov-09 14:31:49

She is in pull-ups pranma (don't know why I always call them nappies - not very informative!) and i put the potty in her room last night. Did a wee before bed and no calling in the night. Need to check with DH if her nappy was dry this morning - it has been a few times.

i think we'll play it by ear and follow the pranma plan when the time comes if she still can't get the pull-ups down. Mine is in a bunk too greenie so I can't really lift her out etc...

Thanks for your help everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now