Talk

Advanced search

What do I say when my DD says: 'I hate you!'

(14 Posts)
littlestmummystop Wed 04-Nov-09 22:33:41

We do argue quite a lot ( usual- teeth cleaning, going to bed, tidying up) and about three or four times a week it escalates into a row.

I ask to do something, she refuses, I nag her, then she screams: 'I hate you!'

I've tried ignoring it, telling her I love you back, and even 'i hate you too'....

I also said I'd make a note of how many times she says it on a chart and tell her the score at the end of the week ( guilt trip attempt)

any advice ?

She's 8.

bonkerz Wed 04-Nov-09 22:35:51

when my DS says he hates me i tell him that its ok to hate me, that i love him and will always love him, i may also say that you dont have to like people you love all the time and its normal! then i just ignore!!!!!

fishie Wed 04-Nov-09 22:36:05

ignore it.

displayuntilbestbefore Wed 04-Nov-09 22:37:23

I ignore it or else say "Oh that's a shame, because I LOVE you!".

Ivykaty44 Wed 04-Nov-09 22:37:34

Do not say - I hate you back, please ever sad they may think deep sdown you actually mean it...

Please ignore it or say quitely its really not a nice thing to say, even in an argument.

JoeyBettany Wed 04-Nov-09 22:38:15

I just say 'So?'

abbierhodes Wed 04-Nov-09 22:39:26

Don't ever tell her you hate her too. sad
She doesn't have the same understanding as an adult, and she will believe you mean it.

When I used to say this to my mom, she would shout back 'And I love you!' But in tone as agressive as mine.

I'd do something like this, or try to ignore it. She doesn't mean it, she doesn't understand what it means.

fishie Wed 04-Nov-09 22:39:26

drat. i should have used new-fangled biccie face.

well that is what you should do lms. could you resemble the biscuit in expression?

try not to get wound up by it, what will happen when she is 13 eek.

Sleepisnotoptional Wed 04-Nov-09 22:49:07

I get this from ds at his tender age of four. My favourite responce " of course you do. Just wait till your a teenager and you'll really hate me" other responses "you're entitled to your opinion. I am not changing my mind"
"go hate me from your bedroom"
"nice of you to share that with the whole street. do you feel better"
"ok if you hate me so much would you like to cook your own tea, wash and fold your clothes, and buy all your own treats and clothes from your pocket money"

Basically anything that recognises his frustration and shows no emotion in its response. Anything nice like I love you would send him into a complete meltdown. so you will have to try what you feel is best and see what works.

ItsAllaBitNoisy Wed 04-Nov-09 23:30:28

I have a 9 year old, and I really don't know what I would do if she said she hated me.

Not very helpful I know, but she just wouldn't dare. Ever.

Geocentric Wed 04-Nov-09 23:37:02

I use the same line as bonkerz. Sometimes I add that I love him/her soooo much I have plenty of love for both of us. (mostly hear it from DD, though... DS is a real softie)

cory Thu 05-Nov-09 08:00:46

I used an approach very similar to bonkerz when they were little. Now that they are older, I would try to probe a bit deeper to see what they really mean.

When dd (13) said it to me the other day, it turned out that there was a massive problem underneath which is going to need a lot of help from all sorts of adults. So in her case "I hate you" it didn't mean that she hates me; it meant "I hate the fact that you haven't seen that I'm not coping and come to my help". Having a tone in the house where she wouldn't dare to speak like that to me, like ItsAllABitNoisy, might have been very, very dangerous in her case.

Otoh if it was just a bad habit they'd got into, I might respond with a "yes dear, quite".

WayneKai Thu 05-Nov-09 08:20:48

i agree with cory even if she does sound like she just swallowed 'how to talk'!

Geocentric Thu 05-Nov-09 09:35:18

Wow, cory, good point!
<hides in bunker with small DCs hoping to keep teenage years at bay>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now