Talk

Advanced search

potty training

(12 Posts)

Ok, dd2 was 2 at end of sept, so is just 2yrs old. I hadnt considered we would attempt to train her till christmas or later. I dont think she is ready, she is wet loads during the day and night, she never asks for nappy change.
BUT
Havent spoken to friends they have all potty trained their LO already ( they are a bit competative tbh) and im doubting myself!

what age did you potty train your LOs?
DD1 was over 2 1/2 but she wasnt walking before 2.

ThePinkOne Wed 04-Nov-09 22:17:07

No! Don't doubt yourself. DD was just 2 and I actually think she was a bit young but was talked into it by my mum. Think I could've made it easier for myself by waiting.

Just hold fire til you think she's ready. 2 is still very young.

ImSoNotTelling Wed 04-Nov-09 22:26:24

Hello lisaD! <waves> are you all feeling better now? Thanks again for your stella ticket we had a great time smile

Also re potty training..

I am currently potty training DD1. Started last Fri so as to do it during half term.She is 2.4 and seems to have taken to it really well. I was pretty scared about the whole thing but here's how it happened for us.

Bought potty when she was a bit under 2 and told her what it was for etc.

Had a couple of days in the summer when she was running around with no bottoms on and with prompting she went on the potty - but we didn't do anything really about it as she didn't seem to know when she was going to go etc and I was expecting a baby. I wanted to wait until she was used to baby etc.

Anyway she was showing more of an interest - we have been talking about how big girls use the toilet/potty like mummy daddy etc and she started talking about it. So anyway we bought some big girl knickers and last week went for it.

I think the trick is to wait until they are shwoing an interest, and seem to understand what it's all about etc. If you try before then I suspect you will end up disappointed and with a lot of extra cleaning!

If you think she's not ready then wait IMO smile

GreenMonkies Wed 04-Nov-09 22:30:25

I began putting my girls on the potty when they were about 7 months old, just once a day (first thing in the morning) on the advice/suggestion of my mum.

Both girls declared "no nappy mummy" when they were about 21 months old. Just like that. No potty "training" required, just a gentle progression and realisation of what and how etc.

No help to you I know, but a tip for others perhaps.

ImSoNotTelling Wed 04-Nov-09 22:38:34

I might try that with DD2, thanks greenmonkies smile

thats ISNT, and greenmonkies. No we still are great tbh. I figured I was home over christmas so would have a good few days to crack it. I think i will wait, she really doesnt seem fussed about nappies. We have just got rid of dummies apart from sleeptimes and now working on bottle once she is well.

ImSoNotTelling Thu 05-Nov-09 11:51:56

<sigh> I have had to start a potty trainign thread now. There's always something isn't there!

Good luck with it all lisa, and hope you all feel better soon.

Triggles Fri 06-Nov-09 20:41:35

DS is still potty training now at age 3, although to be fair, we had another baby right in the midst of his potty training and I think it threw him off a bit, we practically started over again.

Bensmum76 Sat 07-Nov-09 08:48:28

No rush to toilet train for us! Our DS just turned two and I honestly don't think he's anywhere near ready. I won't be convinced by any pressure from family, friends etc that I should toilet rain him until he is ready.

mumof2rugrats Sat 07-Nov-09 09:12:04

my dd2 is 2.5 and she is no where near ready she will sit on the potty but wont do anything i brought her some peppa pig knickers but she likes wearing them over her nappy we are trying pull ups as they were on offer at asda but she still is having none of it were not forcing her just asking her if she needs to use the potty i think were just going to leave it till she wants to
good luck smile

moaningminniewhingesagain Sat 07-Nov-09 12:04:22

My DD will be 3 in March, she seems nowhere near ready. She will tell me when she has had a poo, usually, and understands what the potty is for - ie she will put a dolly on and say 'having a poo?? Noooo, just a weewee!'

But I think she has no idea that she needs a wee. I feel a little bit blush at playgroup because she has such good speech and is very independent and the other mums seem really surprised she is in nappies.

Grits teeth and 'Oh well can't be early at everything' here.

Runoutofideas Sun 08-Nov-09 09:53:33

DD2 was 2 in August and was potty trained last week over half term. I wasn't sure if she was ready but as we had a week at home with not too much planned I thought it was worth a go. She took to it much easier than I thought, pretty much by-passing the potty and going straight to using the loo. I think it helped that she was copying her sister though. We also had a potty around for a few months before and she'd done the odd wee while running aroud in the mornings with no clothes on. I think they just are all ready at different times though and it certainly shouldn't become a competition.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now