Talk

Advanced search

What age do tantrums normally stop?

(10 Posts)
allaboutme Wed 04-Nov-09 17:34:49

Just wondering if DS is out of the ordinary at age 4yo to be still having tantrums?
(the lying on the floor, screaming type)

LIZS Wed 04-Nov-09 17:36:55

No I'd say that is within the range of normallity especially if triggered by tiredness ro hinger.

Jamieandhismagictorch Wed 04-Nov-09 17:37:44

My DS1 was a serious tantrummer, started about 2.

I noticed a big difference in his ability to control his emotions at 4, right near his 4th Birthday.

wonderingwondering Wed 04-Nov-09 17:37:58

My four year old doesn't do that - he gets more emotional when he's tired, but doesn't lie on the floor etc in the way he did when he was 2. So in my experience it is a bit unusual at his age, if it is a regular thing.

Is he at school yet? If so, he may be over-tired and reacting to having to be more controlled during the day.

MadreInglese Wed 04-Nov-09 17:38:30

DP still has tantrums at 33

allaboutme Wed 04-Nov-09 17:59:16

no, he's not at school yet (he turned 4 last month)
he has development delays in social and communication areas (there is a possibility he may have aspergers) and i am wondering if his inability yet to control his strong emotions are something to mention to the DR at next appt if its out of the ordinary really

wonderingwondering Wed 04-Nov-09 18:36:59

I would think it was worth mentioning: it could be linked to delayed communication rather than a sympton on its own, though - my nearly 3yr old DD's behaviour has improved markedly in the last month or so which is when she started talking more fluently. So if your DS can't yet express himself fully, that's may be why he reverts to tantrums.

mimsum Wed 04-Nov-09 18:38:58

ds1 (12) had one of those last week ....

flyingmum Wed 04-Nov-09 18:45:58

My Aspie + dyspraxia + S&L + auditory & visual processing had HUGE tantrums up until he was about 9. That was the last really massive public one. (one of the worst days of my life) Although he can still get very upset at school at times now and he's 14 but nothing like when he was younger. The ones he had when small were massive, very loud and could last all day.

Bleatblurt Wed 04-Nov-09 18:48:10

My soon to be 5 DS1 still has tantrums. They actually started back up again once he saw the attention his little brother would get when he tantrumed. hmm

Though my DH is 40 and can still throw a good childish strop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now