Talk

Advanced search

nappy changes - can't face any more poo fights!

(10 Posts)
spotofcheerfulness Mon 02-Nov-09 19:52:13

DS is 10.5 months and generally v happy and laid back. Except for the last few weeks nappy changes have become a nightmare, it takes 2 of us to do it, and even then it has to be done in stages (one of us pinning down screaming child while other tries to avoid poo getting kicked on them by thrashing legs). It doesn't happen in any other situation and I hate the fact that it's become such an area of real conflict. I've tried distractions, singing, special toys, being firm, etc etc.

I'm sure it's very common but he acts as though we're torturing him and if I could see another way to do it I would (him standing up etc) - this sometimes works with just a wet nappy but with poos - forget it. And the whole process takes ages. It sounds like such a trivial thing but I'm really beginning to dread it. Any tips?!

PyrotechnicToadstool Mon 02-Nov-09 19:53:56

Kneel over him, facing his feet. He shouldn't be able to move like that.

bluebump Mon 02-Nov-09 19:58:21

We used to have this, and I now change him with him stood up. I have to have everything set up ready and do it really quickly. We have had endless wee on the carpet incidents but so far no poo ones...phew!

MERLYPUSS Mon 02-Nov-09 20:03:51

Assuming he hasnt got a sore bum ? Is he always changedin the same place? We keep a bucket of small plastic toys near the changing mat and the DTs choose one of those to gnaw. Also I have found that putting a book above their head works - ask them to find the baby on the pack of nappies etc. Even resorted to letting them play with my necklace or strings on the hood of my top. Distraction is the only way IMO.

barbareebaa Mon 02-Nov-09 20:38:08

I let 11 month old ds choose something he 'shouldn't' have from a shelf in the bathroom - bottle of moisturiser, can of shaving gel etc - stuff I would keep out of his reach normally but is ok to have for 2 mins under close scrutiny. That's working for us at the mo'!

spotofcheerfulness Mon 02-Nov-09 20:39:05

He tends to go ballistic wherever we change him but think the things over the head is probably a good idea. Also like the image of facing his feet but with my lack of spatial awareness I'd probably end up putting it on back to front. blush.

Bluebump, how did you do it standing up if the nappy is quite, erm, loaded with poo?

Washersaurus Mon 02-Nov-09 20:42:37

My 2yo is like this too - sometimes I think it is because he is getting a bit sore from his toddler diarrhoea.

I usually let him have the baby wipes to pull out of the pack, as he really seems to enjoy it. At other times I have to enlist DH's help to pin him down.

hairymelons Mon 02-Nov-09 20:45:17

Just keep trying with the distraction, eventually you'll find something that works. With us, after months of shitfights, it was a box full of various stuff that he would work his way through. He still moans and shouts a bit (he's 16mo now!) but at least doesn't try to roll away and spread poo everywhere!
I know what you mean about dreading nappy changes, it will pass though.

spotofcheerfulness Mon 02-Nov-09 21:03:20

Thanks folks smile

bluebump Tue 03-Nov-09 07:57:28

I just whip it off spotofcheerfulness and hope that it's all in the nappy and not on his bum!! The idea of giving him something he shouldn't normally have is a good one too - that works when we aren't at home and he really does have to lie down!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now