Talk

Advanced search

wet pants at 3

(3 Posts)
SonjaM Mon 02-Nov-09 16:21:49

My 3 year old boy has been dry during the day since June but for the last 3 or 4 weeks has been wetting his pants frequently and it's getting worse. Started with an occasional little "leak" before he realised he needed a wee but now we are getting at least one full-on wee in the trousers every couple of days plus almost every wee starting with a leak in the pants. We started out saying "It's OK but you need to go to the toilet as soon as you bla bla bla;" but now DH is losing patience and is being much more critical, saying DS needs to learn that it is not OK. My questions are: is this "normal" and will it get better before he leaves home (son, not husband)and is husband right or shoud we keep on with the "It's OK" line? Getting very frustrated!!

peanutbutterkid Mon 02-Nov-09 18:07:06

The novelty of being dry wears off. Playing until the last moment is so much better.

Does it hurt when he wees? Sometimes a UTI is the underlying cause. Assuming no pain, just distracted...

I am slightly tipsy blush so haven't thought this thru, but I wonder about...

One day, promising him a chocolate button for every wee, and seeing how fast the accidents disppear (or not). If things suddenly improve, then you've got a green light to move forward with a different incentive scheme, like making him sit down for 5 minutes doing nothing after he's cleaned up after each accident, just to help him learn to remember not to let it happen again. No guilt or lectures while he's sitting down, the 'do nothing' time is meant as incentive in itself.

Note: only works if you have time and not 3 other children to attend to each time!

SonjaM Mon 02-Nov-09 19:44:19

Thanks for the sound advice despite the tipsyness. Will go ahead with your plan and join you in a glass of something too grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now