Talk

Advanced search

how long in lie-flat position?

(9 Posts)
camflower Mon 02-Nov-09 11:06:20

my ds is nearly 10 weeks and i have a buggy with adjustable straps so he can be in any position from flat to upright. what i'm wondering is how long does he have to lie back and think of england? i think he'd enjoy being a bit more upright cos he likes to see what's going on. any advice?

thehairybabysmum Mon 02-Nov-09 11:25:43

Until he can sit up himself...it is not good for their backs for them to be upright (even slightly) until he can do so himself. Also i htink it can squash their lungs and cause breathing difficulties which is why they shouldn't be in a car seat for too long either.

Tee2072 Mon 02-Nov-09 11:28:30

Then why can they use a bumbo before they can sit up, thehairybabysmum? Guidelines for a bumbo are that it is fine once they can hold up their head. How is the support in a bumbo different than in a buggy that adjusts?

camflower, I started my DS in his 'sit up' pram at about 20 weeks, when he really had good head control.

Seona1973 Mon 02-Nov-09 12:20:27

I am sure we used to incline the pushchair from around 3 months so that my lo's could see a bit more of what was going on

thehairybabysmum Mon 02-Nov-09 12:35:27

No idea Tee??

kittywise Mon 02-Nov-09 12:37:06

None of my 6 would ever like back. They hated it, screamed and screamed. They wanted to see out!
They are all fit and healthy and have been propped up since birth!

ImSoNotTelling Mon 02-Nov-09 12:45:40

I have just moved my pushchair to seated, although it's not actually a very upright position, DD has just turned 4 months.

I reckon it's when they can sit supported, and their head doesn't slump. ie try it out, see if DS is comfortable if he slumps at all, looks uncomfy in any way or head flops forward or to one side it is a no-no IMO.

I think that 10 weeks would normally be young to be sitting upright.

ImSoNotTelling Mon 02-Nov-09 12:48:04

If it's got loads of positions then one notch up might be OK, try and see.

If he's not complaining though I'd leave it TBH.

BertieBotts Mon 02-Nov-09 16:36:00

There are concerns about bumbos and similar, they just haven't been widely publicised. They haven't really been around long enough to see if there are any ill effects, but I didn't like the idea and didn't get one for my DS.

In the pushchair once he was staying awake for longer periods and seeming more alert (maybe 3-4 months? He used to fall asleep after about 5 mins pushing) I put him in the semi-reclined position but would lie it flat again if he went to sleep.

I started typing this hours ago so sorry if x-posted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now