Talk

Advanced search

How many words can your two year old say?

(18 Posts)
ilikeyoursleeves Sun 01-Nov-09 20:49:00

Just wondering how many words your DC could / can say at 2 years old? My DS has just turned 2 and can say about 50ish words fairly clearly and a whole lot of other ones that sound jibberish but probably mean something to him. He can comprehend LOADS of words though.

Does this sound OK?

MavisEnderby Sun 01-Nov-09 20:53:03

Sounds excellent to me.I often answer on these B+D speech threads as dd has severe speech delay and it is lovely to reassure those whose dcs sound normal,or very bright like yours that things are fine and dandy

girlsyearapart Sun 01-Nov-09 21:10:04

Mine is 2.1 and is an excellent talker. I don't think I could count the amount of words she knows and she speaks in sentences, sings all the nursery rhymes etc. However She is very much an exception.

My niece will be 2 next month and probably says about 15 words not all clearly but is a bright little button and obviously understands lots.

Friends ds is 2.5 and only says a handful of words mainly grunting.

Other friends dds of similar age are more like my niece or bit more advanced.

I think it's like walking- for every person you speak to who had a 10 month old running about there'll be another who crawled until they were 2!

I have seen a milestone chart somewhere on the Babycentre site which gives you rough ideas on how many words they know at what age but your dc sounds just fine to me smile

bubble2bubble Sun 01-Nov-09 21:20:22

50 words by 2 is more than enough.
Speech therapists will say at this stage that even approximations of words count, doesn't matter if it's indistinct. There is also normally a big jump in speech development between 24 & 30 months, so all the gibberish will start to make more sense soon

lou031205 Sun 01-Nov-09 21:51:35

DD2 is 2.2 & speaking in 2-4 word sentences, some clear, some not. Lots of words. Your dd sounds just fine!

Rollmops Mon 02-Nov-09 10:56:17

Our twin boys speak in 2-3 word 'sentences', sooooo shweet when they started saying 's'. Some of it is very clear, some is very much an approximationsmile. Can't really count the words as there are a lot and new ones come every day.
They will be 23 months soon.

LittleOneMum Mon 02-Nov-09 12:25:12

My DS (at 2.1) is like girlsyearapart's DD - he speaks in complete sentences and his vocabulary is massive. He floors us every day. But I have lots of mates with kids the same age and yours sounds completely fine to me. Some of them can barely say 10 words and others speak like mine. Yours sounds like most of them, TBH.

ShinyAndNew Mon 02-Nov-09 12:30:26

My dd2 is 2.5 and only really started talking about three weeks ago. She has really come on now and can say loads.

Her first sentance was 'Awww, stucked, let me in mummy, open the door'.

Three weeks ago I could count on one hand the words she could say <mam, daggy, doggy, no>

LissyGlitter Mon 02-Nov-09 12:38:36

I think they really vary at this age. DD even varies day to day, some days she has brilliant long words and full sentences, other days she is back to the odd word or made up words (she had a tantrum the other day because I wouldn't give her any "sass" and she refused to tell me what sass is or point at it or anything).

She shocks me sometimes when she comes out with new words, it is amazing how quickly they learn! (she is 2.7)

Saying that, I thought she would never crawl, then suddenly she crawled right across a room, and two weeks later was walking.

anothercoldcupoftea Mon 02-Nov-09 13:57:36

ilikeyoursleeves - sounds about the same as my DD1 at 2.

She's now 2.2 and said her longest sentence ever yesterday, about her buggy - "DON'T push it mummy, its MINE" hmm

mumof2222222222222222boys Mon 02-Nov-09 14:05:36

DS1 def didn't say much at 2 - his favourite word was car and he said that a lot.

DS1 is now 5 and has an amazing vocab with DS2 (nearly 3)not far behind.

Amazing how they change. Saw a friend's (just) 2yo yesterday - staggering the difference, but it will all even out!

sheeplikessleep Mon 02-Nov-09 14:11:19

mumof222222boys - that's reassuring, as my just turned 2 year old only says about 6 words clearly (i.e. recognisable). he understands a lot more and very communicative in terms of non-verbal.

but i am starting to get a bit concerned. he tries to say words and it's almost like he believes he is actually saying the word, even though it bears no resemblance, pronounciation wise. i don't think it's his hearing, as his comprehension is so good. not sure whether to speak to someone professional about it ...

can hold a fairly simple convo with my 2 year old eg "do you want a banana?" "yes please banana"
"do you want to get down" "No I dont want to get down".

She is a funny little thing but lovely to chat to

girlsyearapart Mon 02-Nov-09 14:18:03

littleonemum yes ours floors us with what she says too very funny!

Especially when you hear yourself come back in what they say..

The other day I was listening to her pretend cooking with her play food while her 13mo sister was crawling up to her getting involved. She said to her sister:

"No no don't touch it's veeerry hot! you'll burn your hands won't you? Go over there and play your dinner's nearly ready. Good girl."

Almost word for word what I say at dinner time most days..

Rindercella Mon 02-Nov-09 14:19:16

Your DS sounds spot on to me.

My 2.2 yo DD has recently started to speak in 4-5 word sentences, has loads of words but some of them are not terribly clear. A friend of hers, exactly the same age, has been speaking in complete sentences since she was about 18 months old! I nearly fell over when she said to me once, "Mummy will be back in 2 minutes". She was 18 months at that time and DD could just about grunt Mummy! Another of their friends has less words, but still communicates really well - non-verbal communication is really important too.

They are all different, and your DC does seem to be on track.

JodieO Mon 02-Nov-09 14:24:16

Mt ds2 is 2.10 and has been speaking really well for around 10 months or so. He speaks in sentances, sings, chats and has a big vocabuluary. I couldn't count the words he knows as he says so many! He does have a 6 year old brother and a 7 year old sister though so has a lot to keep up with! They're always talking so that probably helped him with his speach. He talks as well as the older two really, just a slight lisp.

FreeTheGuidoOne Mon 02-Nov-09 14:29:51

Such a range of normal at this age and what you describe is utterly, utterly normal.

My dd spoke normally from around 18 months and at 2 had ironed out any quirks ie all pronouns and tenses were spot on as opposed to 'we goed to the shop' and 'her wants a drink' for example. My dn is 2 next month and can only say single words, probably around 20 atm. Both normal.

MrsBadger Mon 02-Nov-09 14:30:31

have not tried counting them but dd (2.3) does simple sentences and conversation
she often floors us (and nursery) with esoteric vocabulary though, god knows where she picks it up (I blame cbeebies)

DH (squinting at tiny photograph in newspaper): is that a monkey?
DD: no daddy, is a lemur, got stripey tail

hmm

after a conversation in the car about noisy motorbikes she pensively informed me that the moon 'is very quiet, mummy'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now