Talk

Advanced search

Has my child had a personality transplant?

(7 Posts)
MaMight Sun 01-Nov-09 11:52:20

My sweet, laid-back, easy-going, happy, cheerful boy has becom A DEMON.

The only time he takes a break from the constant farking whiney whinging is to throw a furious screaming, gnashing hissy fit.

I miss my boy.

People used to comment on how peaceful and calm he was. Now he is so unhappy.

He won't go in the pushchair or trolley, but he doesn't want to be carried either, and neither does he want to walk. WAHHHHHHHHH.

He wants to breastfeed all night long, and if I try and sneak away he waxes wrath until he is sick. I am tired of washing bedding.

He used to love spending lots of time with dh, and would happily stay and play with friends or potter off doing his own thing. Not it's mummy ALL THE TIME or great vengence and furious anger.

I am becomming unresponsive to him because it really is all the farking time. I HATE this.

Help.

twolittlekings Sun 01-Nov-09 13:33:19

how old is he... sounds VERY familiar.

PacificGuywood Sun 01-Nov-09 13:38:57

Oh, dear, 'tis horrible, isn't it? How old is he and how long has it been going on?
Been there too, my sympathies.

MaMight Sun 01-Nov-09 14:04:06

He's 18 months.

Reading it back, it does sound completely normal. But not MY boy!!

twolittlekings Sun 01-Nov-09 14:13:22

Wait until he is 4!! At least he can't answer you back right now. I nearly died the other day - had a huge row in the supermarket and he called me a sh** blush. I was mortified. And we definitely don't use that phrase at home!!

DS 1 was such a lovely baby!! They do change all the time and each time I tell myself it's just a phase!!

PacificGuywood Sun 01-Nov-09 17:49:07

Mine is 19 months and is either the most angelic, funny, affectionate wee boy - or Satan himself!! He discovered his own will a couple of months ago, and my, doesn't he know how to express it. The most mildly said "no, dear" will trigger screaming, throwing to floor, head banging and throwing whatever he is holding...

My only consolation is that my other 2 eventually grew out of all that, so hopefully this one will too.
I suppose distraction, leaving him to it and bribery (chocolate buttons blush) have all at times worked for us but other than that, repeat after me the MN mantra: this too shall pass, this too shall pass, this too shall pass....
smile

NanaNina Mon 02-Nov-09 13:36:56

MaMight - it is SO much better that your little boy behaves like this at 18 months (part of normal development) as he starts to assert his independent will, than at 18 YEARS. The latter happens when children have not been "eased" and "soothed" through their formative years and gently guided into how to regulate their emotions. SO see it like an insurance policy - you reap the rewards in the future for the hard work you put in now!

So long as you continue to give him unconditional love, all will be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now