Talk

Advanced search

Is my toddler weird to be doing this?

(10 Posts)

My 2yo dd has started making giant nests with all her toys. She will pile them all up in the middle of the floor, arranging prams/trikes etc round the outside, and she spends ages doing this. Once completed she demands to be sat in the centre of the heap and sometimes then rearranges things from the middle so that she can reach everything.

I've never heard of this in a toddler - I have a niggling worry that it might be a sign of insecurity. Or is this normal behaviour?

apostropheisback Sat 31-Oct-09 19:22:20

In the great pantheon of odd toddler behaviour, this is pretty mild. I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Dysgu Sat 31-Oct-09 19:22:31

No idea if it is a sign of anything but DD1 - now 3.1yo - spent months earlier this year doing exactly the same thing. I have photos of her surrounded by dozens of cuddly toys and any other toys that she could reach. Sometimes she would ask to have her baby sister - now 10 mo - placed in her pile too! Oh and she also liked climbing into the laundry basket - of clean clothes - and piling them all around her.

Just enjoy it - this too shall pass.

wb Sat 31-Oct-09 19:33:26

I used to do this - I know cause my mum still has the pictures. I suppose many some who know me may consider me odd but I am able to function in normal society wink

ilovesprouts Sat 31-Oct-09 19:36:10

my dc does the same its just playing i dont worry at all !!

FreeTheGuidoOne Sat 31-Oct-09 19:37:49

Oh that's not weird. That's toddler randomness.

Oh good! I thought as much but hadn't heard of it before and just wanted to check grin.

cheeseandeyeballsarnie Sat 31-Oct-09 22:24:12

we say ds is building a womb to sit in.maybe he realised that life was far easier.

boolifooli Mon 02-Nov-09 11:35:03

You might find this link interesting:

http://www.dorsetforyou.com/index.jsp?articleid=357248

my local nursery observe the kids to find each child's type of play which helps them to organise further activites that the child will enjoy the most. My dd was definitely an 'enveloper'/enclosure/containingchild, your dd may well be one too?
SSounds like you will be clearing away a lot of make shift dens over the next few years

booli - interesting article - although dd seems to do all of those! Will have to watch and see how she develops smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now