Talk

Advanced search

What age is it ok to travel in the front passenger seat with an airbag?

(14 Posts)
jobhuntersrus Sat 31-Oct-09 14:07:22

Just got a new car and it is the first time we have had a car with a front passenger air bag. Now I know you must not put babies in the front with an air bag but at what age is it ok? Dcs are 10, 7 and 3. The 7 and 10 yr old sometimes go in the front (on a booster ofcourse).

Anyone know?

bigchris Sat 31-Oct-09 14:08:27

Not sure but can you disable the airbag?

jobhuntersrus Sat 31-Oct-09 14:10:03

Just done a bit of googling and it looks like it is only dangerous with rear facing baby seats.

Off to investigate further.....

RubyrubyrubyScaryBin Sat 31-Oct-09 14:10:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I would definitely disable the airbag for the 3 and 7yr old. I'm not sure about the 10yr old. I would assume it is safe to use an air bag when they are old enough and the correct weight/height to not need a booster seat (have no idea though!).

jobhuntersrus Sat 31-Oct-09 14:13:43

just found another website which says children under 12 shouldn't if possible. Off to read more....

jobhuntersrus Sat 31-Oct-09 14:26:10

Well I will definately think twice about letting my 3 or 7 yr old ride in the front of any car now after actually reading up about it. This link might be of interest

http://www.ou.edu/oupd/kidseat.htm

I think I will continue to allow my 10 yr old as he is quite tall and above the guideline height for not needing a booster.

cheeseandeyeballsarnie Sat 31-Oct-09 14:54:29

i went to the police station about this a couple of weeks ago as id just passed my test and got a little car.

they gave me a leaflet which said if a car has 3 seat belts in rear and 2 occupied child seats or boosters prevent the fitting of a 3rd,a 3rd child over 3 years may use the adult belt.if theres room it would be safer for the third child to travel in the front seat and use correct child seat or booster.

it then says to check car handbook about air bags because 'they are pwerful safety devices that should be treated with respect'it says children and adults should not sit close to an active frontal air bag.they suggest the car seat should be as far back as possible.

waffle waffle.does that makes sense?i have dd aged 9 on her booster seat in front but with seat right back(allowing room for ds legs behind!) if only 2 dc in car they go in back.

nannyl Sat 31-Oct-09 17:28:54

i think its 12 years / 40kg ish

so about the size of a smallish adult

Ponders Sat 31-Oct-09 17:45:08

Airbags deploy at c 200mph I once read somewhere shock & the thing with younger children is that their heads are large in proportion to their necks, so if hit the head would snap back much more strongly than an adult's would.

If you do have to put a child in the front seat, have it as far back as it will go, & make sure there is something right behind the head.

Ponders Sat 31-Oct-09 17:50:53

babycentre - good concise advice smile

bigTillyMint Sat 31-Oct-09 17:54:02

So what is an appropriate child restraint in the front? Is it a normal seat belt?

They don't have to be on car seats once they are 136cm do they?

bigTillyMint Sat 31-Oct-09 17:54:04

So what is an appropriate child restraint in the front? Is it a normal seat belt?

They don't have to be on car seats once they are 136cm do they?

jobhuntersrus Sat 31-Oct-09 19:18:39

i think appropriate child restraint just means whatever is suitable for their age, weight and size. So yes if over the height for needing a booster that would mean just the adult 3 point seat belt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now