Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else's 14m old NOT really talking yet?

(22 Posts)
MrsFawlty Thu 29-Oct-09 13:30:58

These buggery development emails. Apparently DS shoudl be saying a few words by now. He did say "off" this morning when I turned the light off and said it but he was just imitating, and he doesn't even do that much.

Not to be neurotic, but that is normal isn't it? Or is it my failing as a parent to stimulate his little brain enough? (it's not even my first child ffs!)

tkband3 Thu 29-Oct-09 13:35:39

I had the same neurosis with my DTs...when they were born, DD1 was 20 months and could hold full conversations. When the DTs turned 20 months they could just about say Mummy and Daddy hmm grin. Their speech skills were always behind DD1's, so I was always slightly unsure about their progress, but not worried enough to do anything about it, but they've started school now and it's obvious their speech is fine - DD1's was just ridiculously advanced for her age.

Hope that's a little reassuring smile.

bitofadramaqueen Thu 29-Oct-09 13:37:20

My DS is 16 months and he's only got a couple of words that he says in the right context. It's only really been in the last month or two this has started.

So sounds perfectly normal to me <hopeful> grin

Dumbledoresgirl Thu 29-Oct-09 13:40:55

Don't worry! My eldest did not say intelligible words until he was 26 months. I admit, I had him down to the speech therapist by then, but he only attended a couple of sessions as it soon became apparent he was fine.

He is an exceptionally able 13 year old now, though I admit not very good at expressing his feelings!

The key thing is, does he appear to understand you? Can he follow simple instructions? Does he point at things? That sort of thing is a better indication at his age than the number of words he uses.

gorionine Thu 29-Oct-09 13:41:36

DD4 did barely say a word until she was 2YO (had started the same thread as you with 24month instead of 14 at the time!grin) and one year one it is imposiible to shut her up! 14 month is still really little, do not worry too much.

TBH her elder sibblings were early speakers but I do not think they were saying much more than Mama & Dada at 14 months.

MrsFawlty Thu 29-Oct-09 13:46:00

Thanks! I suppose I had the same neuroses with DS1 as he was pretty much just doing animal noises at 18m, but then he just suddenly started up chatting and hasn't stopped since.

I suppose you just never stop beating yourself up about not doing enough - I wish I could, it's very tiring...

MrsFawlty Thu 29-Oct-09 13:47:29

ooh, Dumbledore - yes, he does seem to understand what is being said, and seems very bright in other ways. I'm just being neurotic, aren't I?

BertieBotts Thu 29-Oct-09 13:50:16

DS is 13 months and although he is very good at chattering away to himself in gibberish, he has absolutely no sign of saying anything anyone can understand - I'm not worrying, I have heard that boys tend to have one word by their first year, two by their second but then suddenly seem to get it at some point around the third. Whereas girls are more likely to talk earlier.

allaboutme Thu 29-Oct-09 13:53:55

Both mine were at least 16 months before they said any words. DS2 is now 20 months and says loads of words. DS1 was about 2yr before he got the hang of loads of words.
14 months is really too early to expect talking I think (obviously some can, but its nor expected yet)

BertieBotts Thu 29-Oct-09 13:54:30

Oh and a lady at the children's centre said to me that at this stage what you should be looking for in terms of speech development is that they are making a range of sounds and using inflections etc (is that even the right word??) - I mean changing the tone of their voice within a babbling session. So if it sounds like he is chattering away to himself in his own language that is a really good sign, and it doesn't matter if he doesn't have any actual words yet.

iwascyteenagewerewolf Thu 29-Oct-09 13:55:09

My 13mo DS sounds just like yours Bertie - absolutely full of opinion but not in any intelligible sense grin At the moment the only thing he says is something that sounds like 'oh dear' although it could be 'idea' or even 'ikea' hmm He certainly doesn't have a problem making himself understood at crucial moments though! Likewise, I know he understands the word 'stop' (acting on it is another matter...)

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Thu 29-Oct-09 13:57:06

14 months?! Um... really?

DS was about 18mo with his first words mama/dada etc, and at 23mo he's just started to attempt sentences (oh it's funny)

it'll come, 14mo is very very early.

BertieBotts Thu 29-Oct-09 14:18:29

Oh yes teenagewerewolf - DS is always saying something that sounds like "I did" grin he's also very expressive with his hands and will look at us and say (something like)

A-di-di-di di-di-di-DID!

With hands outstretched in the manner of someone in the middle of a heated debate grin And then crawl off and try and stuff a car into his shape sorter, or something.

smileyboy Thu 29-Oct-09 15:52:28

Totally normal. My ds only had mamma and dadda at that age and didn't say wnything else til he was about 19 months old!

sweetnitanitro Thu 29-Oct-09 15:59:34

My DD is nearly 13 months and yabbers away to herself, but she can't say anything yet. She's far too busy running around playing.

BertieBotts, my DD says doo-doo-doo-DOO-DOO-DOO! (increasingly louder) when she's cross, it's hilarious grin

I count myself lucky, one of DD's friends can say a few words including mummy, daddy, doggy and bugger grin

popsycal Thu 29-Oct-09 16:01:11

ignore ignore ignore ignore

ds3 is almost 14 months
cant talk but beautifully signs ds1 ds2 grandma mum dad more 'love you' yes no

none of mine 'talked' at 14months
who is writing this rubbish

popsycal Thu 29-Oct-09 16:02:37

oh he says mama anddada
but that doesnt count lol

sweetnitanitro Thu 29-Oct-09 16:11:35

Oh yes, I forgot to say that those development emails are rubbish. I bet if you read a couple of months ahead you would find stuff that your DS has already been doing for months grin

cheerfulvicky Thu 29-Oct-09 16:50:54

Hullo,
My DS is 14 months today, and he's not really talking yet. Well, he can say Mama and Dada in context, but that's it. He babbles a lot, points and understands the word "no" grin

To be honest, I'm more worried that he's not walking! Trying to tell myself that I'm daft worrying about developmental stages, and he will get to it when he feels like. But I can't help be competitive in my head. Bleh.

deaconblue Thu 29-Oct-09 18:54:04

Ds at 15 months said nothing at all. At 20 months he had 20 words but at 2 years he had over 200 words, knew his colours and basic shapes and was combining words together like big dog, red bus etc. Sometimes they just suddenly gete it

posieparksherbroom Thu 29-Oct-09 18:55:27

Put your fingers in your ears and sing blah blah blah as loud as you can until your baby is two, if he still has no words you may seek advice.

lovechoc Thu 29-Oct-09 19:02:32

I have a relative whose DC is 29 months old and hasn't said one word yet so I don't think you need to worry, OP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now