Talk

Advanced search

2.7yo crying about birthmark

(14 Posts)
Kayzr Wed 28-Oct-09 07:51:09

DS1 has a small birthmark on his right forearm. The last few weeks he has been screaming about it up to 6 times a day. He is really screaming and crying his eyes out about it. Not sure what it has stemmed from as we haven't mentioned it.

I have tried showing him mine as I have a small one on my arm too, tried put 'magic cream' (sudocrem) and this calms him down a little bit.

He was trying to scratch it of with his fork yesterday and we are a bit worried now.

Can anyone suggest a way of getting him to see that it isn't a bad thing? We think he thinks it is a bruise.

Thanks.

gorionine Wed 28-Oct-09 08:00:42

I have a Dd of similar age and she gets ballistic if she has something "dirty" on her(pen mark, bit of paint, food...) and she wants it to be washed of immediatly. Is it possible that your son think it is a stain of some sort? Maybe you could explain to him it is part of him and makes him unique?

DD has got a little birth mark on the side of her nose. She has not yet payed to much attention to it but will come the time she will no doubt ask what it is and why she cannot take it off. I am not really looking foreward to it as it is on her face and not many ways I can think off to "cover it" so she will have to come to term with the fact that is part of who she is.

gorionine Wed 28-Oct-09 08:04:31

Sorry, I forgot a bit. Make sure he knows it is not something dirty on him. You can also tell him that a lot of people have them but not two of them are exactly the same so his one is really unique to him.

Kayzr Wed 28-Oct-09 08:11:07

He is the same as your DD. He hates any type of mess.

I'll try telling him that is unique to him.

Thanks.

gorionine Wed 28-Oct-09 08:16:24

Do not worry too much, DD's three eldest siblings also went through a "superclean" phase but now like nothing more than mucking about outside. The state of them and there clothes... you would never imagine that they once cried because they had a spec of dirt on their hands!smile

Kayzr Wed 28-Oct-09 08:19:35

I do hope he grows out of it. Drives me mad having to clean him every 5 minutes.

GYo Wed 28-Oct-09 08:42:19

Hi Kayz

Sorry to hear DS1 isnt happy. I'd be tempted to not "wash it off" or put cream on it for him all the time as he maybe getting confused why it isnt taking it away.

Hopefully it will pass soon

GHOSTLYPRessenceofSES Wed 28-Oct-09 09:31:40

I agree with GYo. By washing it or putting cream on it, he may get the impression that it's not meant to be there.
Can't be easy for him or you but I'm sure it's a phase that will pass. Good luck!

Kayzr Wed 28-Oct-09 09:36:34

We've never tried to wash it off. DH put some sudocrem on it yesterday as DS1 cried so much he made himself sick and it was the only thing that would calm him down.

GYo Wed 28-Oct-09 11:10:04

Ah ok, sorry, you mentioned cleaning him all the time in a previous post.

hope it improves

Kayzr Wed 28-Oct-09 11:40:50

Oh we don't clean his birthmark, just him in general. Constantly wants his hands wiping.

feetheart Wed 28-Oct-09 11:48:59

DD (6.8) has a birthmark on her leg about the size of a 10p.
We have always called it her 'special mark' and told her that when she was waiting to be born the fairies went along the line of babies and every now and then would touch one and say 'this one is special'. Where they touched is where her birthmark is.
She knows a lot more about how babies are made, where they come from etc but still likes the story smile

Not sure if that helps as we have never had a mad cleaning phase and its on her leg so not always in sight.

LilRedWG Wed 28-Oct-09 11:52:30

I remember hating my freckles as a child. Whenever I moaned about them my Mum would just tell that they are fairy kisses and I was extra special so the fairies kissed me lots. I now tell DD this, as she has quite a few moles/dark freckles.

skinsl Wed 28-Oct-09 12:41:24

Arh, bless. I'm sure he'll forget about it soon enough and move on to something else.My DS (just 2)has just noticed by birthmark and insists on kissing it better?! Just a thought?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now