Talk

Advanced search

Should I take a break from getting DS dry at night?

(12 Posts)
Cucci Wed 28-Oct-09 07:35:22

DS1 is 4.5 and started school in September. The week he started school he told me he wanted to stop wearing a nappy at night, but out of 7 nights he was only dry 2 and so we stopped for a bit and went back to nappies.

I have tried this again this week after about a months break with a promise of some Star Wars lego if he could be dry for 5 nights. Again we have only had 2 dry nights out of 5.

I am doing the usual, limiting drink just to teatime about 5.30 and then getting him up for a wee when I go to bed at about 10.30.

Some nights he is wetting at 4am but last night it was at 2am so he is not going for very long.

He has his own toilet and I leave the light on for him but he just doesn't seem to be able to wake up enough to go to wee in time but he does wake because he is wet.

This inevitably means we are not getting a good nights sleep and I am losing my enthusiasm.

So, any tips? Should I crack on with it or is it best to leave it again? Any offers of advice most welcome and thank you.

swissmiss Wed 28-Oct-09 07:44:32

you're not alone. no answers here but any tips welcome too.

my DS1 is 4.5 and we're in a similar situation except he says he doesn't wake up when he wees hmm. not sure if he's being lazy or really dosen't wake, he can sleep through anything, incl. DH knocking walls out with a sledgehammer at 8pm (not an everyday occurance, just whilst we were doing some building work )

Tambajam Wed 28-Oct-09 08:06:06

I would leave it for a while. My son is 5 and has been dry for a while but he has several classmates who aren't. It's my understanding that it's about physical development and a readiness that can't be 'taught'. I kept my son in a pull-up until it was consistently dry and then stopped using it. I have friends who have approached it a similiar way. Night wetting at 4 is completely within normal range.

racmac Wed 28-Oct-09 08:24:24

No advice really but my DS4 is the same - he really doesnt want to wear pull ups at night but i cant be changing sheets every night which is what happens.

We will try again in a couple of months i think

sdr Wed 28-Oct-09 09:07:23

Glad we're not alone. DS is almost 5 and rarely has dry nights. Have tried the same as the rest of you, limiting evening drinks, getting him up in the night, but lucky to get 1 in 4 nights dry. The older 3 DC's were all out of night nappies by 4, so finding it frustrating. However think you're all right, just a physical development thing.

WickedWitchinthesticks Wed 28-Oct-09 16:13:27

It really isn't that unusual, particularly for boys. My DS1 was exactly the same and was finally fully dry at 6. I wish I had known then and I would not have stressed us all trying to get him dry before he was really capable. Just get good pull ups .

madwomanintheattic Wed 28-Oct-09 16:19:57

you can't 'teach' it. if he isn't producing the right hormone he will still be wet.

gps will do nothing until 7 years unless there is an additional or underlying issue., and then they usually recommend taking a med which mimics the hormone. bedwetting until 7 is considered 'normal'.

Jamieandhismagictorch Wed 28-Oct-09 18:43:20

4.5 is really early to be worrying about being dry at night. I really would leave it and get pullups.

throckenholt Wed 28-Oct-09 18:48:47

it happens when it happens. I have 3 boys - one dry at night at 3.5, one at 5.5, one still not at 6.5 - but he is beginning to show signs of getting there.

All you can really do is be patient (him too). Talk to him about it and tell him lots of kids aren't dry at his age - and that it will happen when it does - not to worry about it.

busybutterfly Wed 28-Oct-09 22:56:01

My DS2 is 5 and wears Dry Nites. I was lifting him at 9.30pm and midnight which is ridiculous - like madwoman says, you can't teach it.

And this way we all get a good night's sleep grin

swissmiss Wed 28-Oct-09 23:36:16

Good to read we're not alone.

I'm acutally ok with him not yet being night dry. It's not like I'd get a good nights sleep anyways with DD1, 3.5 waking up to use the loo but needing help getting her pull up back on, she's also hit and miss or DD2, 1, waking up for feeding. However DH (pushed by MIL! angry) is really bothered and keeps pushing it with DS.

TimothyTigerTuppennyTail Wed 28-Oct-09 23:56:23

Please let your DH know that if he 'pushes it' with DS he could potentially cause a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now