Talk

Advanced search

Another swimming thread.

(7 Posts)
sparklefrog Tue 27-Oct-09 09:35:27

My DD is 14 months old and has never been swimming.
I don't really like going swimming myself, but know I should take her.
I want her to eventually go to swimming classes and be a confident swimmer.

Have I left it too late?

Should I take her asap (even though it's half term now) or wait until she is abit older now?

How old were your children when you first took them swimming, and how did they take to it?

sparklefrog Tue 27-Oct-09 09:38:26

Also, DD is going through a stage of not liking the bath at all at the moment too. sad so I'm not sure how she will take to a noisy swimming pool.

Would it be better if we spectated for the first time?

LilyBolero Tue 27-Oct-09 09:39:11

I took all of mine from being 4 months.

Ds1 was petrified of getting water on his face, up till age 6, then 'got it' and now at age 8 is a fish - can swim well.

Dd learnt to swim at age 5, no fears (except of the swimming teacher - we had a term where she didn't want to do anything with the teacher watching), is now at age 6 extremely confident and proficient.

Ds2 is 3, confident in water as long as he has armbands, doesn't like water on face though.

So they're all different despite starting early.

If you can take your dd, she will love it!

bamboo Tue 27-Oct-09 09:47:53

14 months! Relax, she's still really young.

dd(7) didn't go until she was 5 and is now a really confident, competent swimmer.

Me and dh have absolutely no confidence in the water, so other than on holiday she's only ever done lessons but it's not held her back.

If you would enjoy it, by all means take her but otherwise I wouldn't worry smile.

MmeGoblindt Tue 27-Oct-09 09:51:38

Don't worry about it.

We went swimming occasionally from the time that DD was about 2 or 3 I think, maybe even later when I think about it.

She would go with my Mum when she was visiting, once or twice a year from age 3 to 6yo.

Now we have moved to a place where we can swim in the lake, she went swimming every week in summer.

Tbh, I could not be bothered with all the hassle of swimming with a toddler. Now that they are older it is much easier.

Because of where we live mine have all been around pools since about 6 weeks old. One loved it from the start, one didn't and the littlest at 2.5 has started swimming on his own this week.

At any rate, imo they are not really able to swim properly until they are about 4.5/5 and it makes no odds really as to when they start before this age. So don't feel bad about not taking your toddler swimming.

I would recommend going when you feel happy about going, so that your dd doesn't pick up on any anxieties you may have. Also, don't go for the first time during any school holidays, as in my experience, public pools in school holidays are hellishly busy and noisy.

Don't go for very long, maybe 20 minutes max and make sure you have something for her to eat afterwards as they get very hungry. smile

sparklefrog Tue 27-Oct-09 13:51:15

Thanks for all your replies.

I will be taking DD swimming next week, when the kids are back at school. smile

My sis has agreed to come with me. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now