Talk

Advanced search

Not speaking at nursery (but talking non-stop at home)

(5 Posts)
RamblingRosa Mon 26-Oct-09 21:13:02

I don't know if this is the right place to post but couldn't find a specific language/speech topic.

DD (just turned 2) has always been really advanced language wise. Not just being a proud mum Everyone has noticed it. She started speaking at an early age, has a huge amount of vocabulary, can talk in past tense, future tense, gets irregular verbs right etc. Not boasting, just making the point that her language seems quite advanced to me.

The point is, that nursery staff say she doesn't speak at all. Barely a word. They were impressed today because they asked her her name and she replied (just saying her name). They were impressed because they didn't think she could speak hmm

This makes me really sad because she's such a chatty little thing. It makes me worry she's not happy at nursery and that's why she won't speak there.

Does anyone else have experience of this? Is it normal for kids to be chatty at home but mute at nursery?

Should I be worried?

paisleyleaf Mon 26-Oct-09 21:14:41

My DD was like this. She's shy - it took her ages to come out of herself at playgroup.

RamblingRosa Mon 26-Oct-09 21:18:49

That's reassuring. Thanks. I suppose DD is quite shy. She's very outgoing once she's sure of herself and is comfortable with new people but she's very cautious and quiet when she's in a new situation or with new people.

Maybe I'm worrying too much. Again

paisleyleaf Mon 26-Oct-09 21:23:47

It's annoying when you think that the nursery staff might be underestimating her understanding and knowledge - but going to nursery will probably be good for her confidence in this.

RamblingRosa Mon 26-Oct-09 21:26:14

Exactly! I can't help but think they just haven't been paying enough attention to notice her chatting away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now