Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have any experience of yoga for children?

(18 Posts)
shockers Mon 26-Oct-09 13:16:35

My daughter has trouble controlling herself when she has become over stimulated.
Someone suggested a yoga class that we could go to together as a possible solution but I can't find one in our area ( Blackpool, Preston and Lancaster are our nearest large towns/ cities)
'd also be interested to know if anyone has tried it and how they got on.

Spottyotter Mon 26-Oct-09 20:33:32

Hiya shockers. Was going to post the same question myself. We are in the same area too. Will watch this with avid interest.

FernieB Tue 27-Oct-09 10:53:02

Never tried Mum and child yoga, but my DD's went to an after school yoga group when they were 7 and loved it. They were really disappointed when the teacher had to stop giving lessons. They did become much more relaxed and went to sleep much easier.

Miggsie Tue 27-Oct-09 10:59:23

DD and several of her friends have done yoga but non of them lasted more than a term...they all ended up saying it was really boring.
They were 4-5-6 age group.
Didn't see much calmness in evidence, DD used to run out of class like a maniac. She could tell me exactly what they had done and even demonstrated, so she was paying attention.

DD has moved onto gym which she loves, but she still watches Waybuloo and does the yoga there and gets out my yoga cards and does those.

So perhaps the particular class was dull, and if taught better, would be more fun?

I think you'd have to try it!

shockers Wed 28-Oct-09 11:43:15

Thank you!
Just had to google waybuloo. DD's 11 but has SEN and epilepsy. She does watch some Cbeebies but we've not seen that.
I will continue to look out for something in our area spottyotter.
I have an Edinburgh Techniques relaxation story that I used to use at school which I'm going to dig out to try butif anyone hears of anything would you let me know?
Thanks again!

shockers Wed 28-Oct-09 11:44:47

spottyotter which town are you nearest to? I'm thinking of phoning round the local authorities to express an interest.

PotPourri Wed 28-Oct-09 11:48:33

Message withdrawn

MrsBadger Wed 28-Oct-09 11:49:44

DD has been to a few run by Tatty Bumpkin, but they are aimed very much at younger kids

I would say she comes out energised rather than calmed...

shockers Wed 28-Oct-09 11:57:21

They do that at our local children's centre but it's for pre-school children and is on when DD is at school.
I think the lady that mentioned it was thinking about self regulation... understanding when her breathing becomes fast, adrenaline starts pumping etc. It really is a big problem with her.

MrsBadger Wed 28-Oct-09 12:04:45

sounds like she needs something more specific than yoga tbh - kids' yoga seems to be mostly about positions and movement than breathing and relaxation.

shockers Wed 28-Oct-09 12:09:43

It was our adoption social worker who suggested it. We are working with CAHMS too... just wanted something that DD and I could do together so that when she gets heightened I can gently suggest something that might help.
Did you have something in mind MrsBadger ?

MrsBadger Wed 28-Oct-09 12:18:56

not specifically (not v helpful I know wink)
I know our local Children's Centre does parent-and-child anger-management sessions and I wondered if something like that might be any good just for the techniques. Does depend very much on what is available locally though.

shockers Wed 28-Oct-09 12:49:43

So does ours, I think...might just be for parents. We've just moved so I went in and asked what's available the other day. They're very nice in there smile

mummimamma Fri 30-Oct-09 01:54:00

Maybe a good thing to start with is just learning the Child's pose and the Tree pose and doing those together. They are great for centering oneself and calming down. I often need it myself!

minxofmancunia Fri 30-Oct-09 15:30:04

hiya, I've done my training to be akids yoga teacher but have yet to bite the bullet and start a class!

try "calm for kids" meditation cds (google it) they mighthelp.

kids yoga can be fun and uually includes a story, a game some songs and relaxation at the end with various props used througout.

i find any forward bend relaxing and backbend energising. try downward dog or pigeon pose with her.

EldonAve Fri 30-Oct-09 15:39:23

If you can't find a class yogabugs does DVDs - they are probably on amazon

shockers Tue 03-Nov-09 21:22:33

Thanks all... I will make use of those suggestions!

shockers Tue 03-Nov-09 21:35:43

Do you know minx you would probably be in demand in schools. Dd is at a special school... I bet they'd really benefit.

I've googled the child pose and the tree pose... can't practise just now as I have swine flu and can't stop coughing.

Also googled Yogabugs... no classes in the NW but will look for DVDs and the Calm For Kids CDs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now