Talk

Advanced search

Nearly 2 year old pushing

(4 Posts)
Gargula Mon 26-Oct-09 11:52:00

Hello,
I'm having a very stressful time at mo with my nearly 2 year old boy pushing other children.
We went to my PIL last weekend and his two cousins (one is 2.5 years old but smaller than him and the other is just 14 months) really got the worse of it. I just couldn't stop him. Every time he did it I, or my husband, said "no" and removed him, but he just DID NOT STOP!
I know this is supposedly "normal" but, really, no other child in all the groups we go to is as aggressive as he is and it's really getting me down sad
He's also at the stage where he says "no" to everything and it's all becoming a struggle.
Someone re-assure me he's not deliquent and it is just a phase.
Also, if you have any great ideas to stop the pushing that would be great!

mumtoem Mon 26-Oct-09 13:05:34

It is just a phase. My DD does this - it will pass (probably to be replaced with something worse wink). This morning she even shouted "push" before pushing DH.

At DDs nursery, if a child pushes, they say no, pick child up and move to another part of the room. They then calmly say that "we don't push because it is not nice".

All I can suggest is that you keep doing this and try to distract him if you think he is about to push.

TombliBOOOOOObs Mon 26-Oct-09 13:11:59

DS did this for a short time when he was slightly younger than your DC, we were really shocked as he had been very kind and placid until then, it only lasted a few weeks (though was very regular during that time)

I think, a firm but calm voice and a bit if attention for the other child, then moving quickly on and forgetting about it seemed to work well for us. You don't want to make too much out of it otherwise they start to enjoy the negative attention.

Gargula Mon 26-Oct-09 19:36:31

Thanks for your advice.
I think distracting him may have been the key, mumtoem, but twas quite difficult as my PIL have quite a small room and there were a LOT of people there tripping over each other - so he was a bit spaced anyway: add that to the stress of trying to share toys, late night blah blah...
Tombliboooobs - my son has never been placid! So I guess it was less of a shock for me. And to be honest it isn't new - he's been doing it, off and on, since 17 months - it's just sometimes it's more on than off!
He's been a gorgeous little cheeky monkey today - so I feel bad for feeling bad about him. He's just so much better when 100% of my attention is on him - bodes well for when no. 2 comes along next year hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now